Chapter 20: Wedding

Start from the beginning

"It's fine, Ms. Macaroni." Sam smiled 'sweetly'.

"It's McKenzie."

"Oh sorry," Sam smirked. "I forgot."

Celia flushed red and I enjoyed seeing her at a loss for words. She grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the room, throwing a 'you're dismissed!' To Sam. She shut the door on the stylist's laughter.

"Come on girl," Celia growled. "Don't mess today up... you know the consequences if you do."

I nodded mutely, feeling the circulation get cut off in my wrist. Is it normal to not feel your fingers?

Celia shoved me in the black limo and snapped at the driver to start.

I stared out of the window, at the scenery that flew by, and swallowed harshly, digging my nails into my palms to hold back the tears. My heart thudded wildly in my chest and my breathing became shallower.

"Stop hurting yourself." Celia mumbled, wrapping her bony fingers around my hand. "You'll get blood on the dress- it's very expensive, you know." Of course that's what she's worried about.

I glared and yanked my hand out of her grasp. This woman had made my life an absolute hell- and I would never  forgive her for that.

"We're here." The driver said lowly. I thanked her while Celia pulled me out of the vehicle. Instantly I was blinded by the camera flash of reporters.

"Miss McKenzie! How long have you and Mr. Mantennii been together?"

"How are you feeling today?"

"This way Miss!"

"Can we be expecting children soon?"

Security managed to clear a path for me and Celia up to the ornate doors of the church. I was handed a bouquet of flowers, and told to stand next to Timothy. 

"Smile for the cameras, sweetheart." He smirked, tucking my hand into the crook of his elbow. "It's showtime."

The doors opened and the first chords of 'Here comes the bride' floated through. Timothy practically frogmarched me up the aisle and I offered no resistance. In the front row, I caught sight of a fuming Marigold and a concerned Jacob. At least they're okay.

I stepped up on the alter and Timothy kissed my cheek. I grimaced. Now I'll have to bleach my cheek. I lifted my gaze to Lucas, who was smiling, but there was anguish swirling in his eyes.

I zoned out during the priest's speech, half-tempted to run away. But MantenniI's warning rang in my ears, forcing me to stay put.

"Do you, Lucas Mantennii, take Arya McKenzie to be your lawfully wedded bride?"

"I do." Lucas forced out, squeezing his eyes shut. The wedding guests awwed.

"And do you, Arya McKenzie, take Lucas Mantennii to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I-"

"STOP THIS WEDDING!"

Gasps echoed in the chamber as Christopher Moon strode towards us. He wore a black shirt and trousers with a leather jacket and- for some unfathomable reason- bright pink Hello Kitty glasses.

"The hell is going on?" I wondered loudly. The priest gasped next to me.

"Well, um, we're here to rescue you." Kit explained. "We've got a getaway vehicle waiting outside when you're ready- and don't worry, you siblings will be safe."

I looked at Lucas and he nodded with a wide grin, giving me a little push off the small stage. For a second, I hesitated. But then I looked at my siblings. Marigold was whisper-screaming 'go!' while Jacob gave me an encouraging nod. I handed the flowers one of the bridesmaids, who blushed profusely. Grinning, I gathered some of the dress, before sprinting after Kit.