Chapter 2: New beginnings

" Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to land at Changi airport. Please make sure one last time your seat belt is securely fastened. The flight attendants are currently passing around the cabin to make a final compliance check and pick up any remaining cups and glasses. Thank you."

I woke up from my nap hearing the captain's announcement. Though it was a short flight I fell asleep enjoying my view through the window. The soft clouds looked like a field of snow while glistening rays of sunshine entered through the window. Dad was reading his 'Business Times' newspaper while Via was still asleep.

" Via! Wake up, we are about to land." I said.

" Hmm..." she muttered as she woke up. She immediately turned towards the window and continued to look out.

We landed after a few minutes and collected our luggage. I yet again had to put my cab hiring skills to action. It only took us a few minutes to reach our quarters that were given to my father by his company. We stepped out and the taxi driver helped us with our luggage. Via was too excited to stay still, she jumped out of excitement and went running upstairs to find our flat.

" Don't run Via! Our flat is on the 13th floor, so we can take the elevator." Dad said.

" What are we waiting for then? Come quickly daddy!" she replied.

As we entered our flat, I couldn't help but think of how tiny and compact the flat was. Though my dad had mere earnings, we lived in a spacious wooden house that was given to us by my grandparents in Thailand. The only thing I looked forward to in this flat was having my own room. But keeping in mind how small these rooms are, I prefer sharing a large room with Via.

" How do you like our flat?" Dad asked.

Both Via and I stayed silent. I guess dad found the answer to his question in our silence. Poor Via was quite disappointed because our flat was so far from the house that she had been dreaming about in her fantasies.

" I don't like it here... can we go back sissy?" she asked.

" Not really Via. I want to go back to Thailand too, but dad is working hard right now to make our lives better. The least we can do is support him." I replied.

" Yeah, good girls don't trouble their parents! I'm a good girl right?" she said as she ran towards our luggage to pull out her toys.

"Haha! Yes Via! You are a good girl!" I said.

" But can we paint my room pink? Mr. Sniffles doesn't like pale rooms..."

" We'll think about it. Go take a shower now. Me and dad are gonna unpack." I replied.

" I'm sorry Leia. Can you unpack the luggage, I have to go to the factory once before I report tomorrow." dad said.

I continued to unpack and arrange things for the rest of the day. I crawled into bed at around 11pm once I finished my work. Via also jumped into my bed as she was not used to sleeping alone in her room.

"I'm so excited to start school tomorrow! I'm gonna make so many new friends and they are gonna choose me as their leader!" she giggled.

"Yeah they will. You have to wake up early and it's already late. Go to sleep Via." I said.Soon she snuggled up in her duvet and fell asleep.

Moving to a different country is not just about the house, it's also about changing schools and most importantly changing our lifestyle. Now it was my turn to mentally prepare myself for school. I wish I had joined school at the beginning of the academic year but the thought of starting school tomorrow in the middle of the semester gave me jitters. But now my brain was too exhausted to continue thinking so I fell asleep.