21│HOOKED ON A FEELING

Start from the beginning

As it turned out, their arguing was nearly pointless. The mansion had most likely been a summer home and, with it being April when the apocalypse happened, there were no truly useful supplies that were kept while the family was away. The right wing's first floor held a large kitchen, a sitting room, several connecting hallways, two bathrooms and a staircase that led to the second level. Five had disappeared somewhere out of sight so Lola decided to risk his nagging and took a few cautious steps upwards.

It was all she was able to do, though, since the second half of the stair case was blocked by collapsed supports. With a huff of annoyance, she returned to the main room where the boy was studying the dusty remaining furniture and useless knickknacks.

"Maybe they had a library," Lola suggested after a moment, "most mansions do, don't they?"

"And you have experience with mansions, do you?" the boy returned as he straightened from examining a cluttered, cobwebbed shelf.

The girl decided not to answer that and instead asked, "find anything interesting?"

"Nothing. I was thinking we could maybe use the cushions for something but they're. . . well, you don't want to use them," he finished, looking a bit disgusted.

"You eat bugs for breakfast, idiot. That's something to be disgusted by, but whatever. Anyway, the second floor's blocked," she said.

The boy rolled his eyes but didn't argue. "So that's it, then, isn't it? I told you it would be a waste of time."

"We could still get up there since you've decided to be stupid about this whole thing," Lola pointed out.

"I'm not being the stupid one— you're the one that wanted to waste time here anyway. I'm just making sure you don't get killed."

"I don't know why—" she started before she was interrupted by the familiar tug on her wrist and then in her stomach before the pair reappeared in the upstairs part. "Five! You interrupted me!"

"I know," the boy's response was smug, "you were going to say something idiotic so I thought I'd save you the trouble."

The brunette scowled at him and turned her back on the boy in irritation, only for her expression to brighten a moment later. "A bed!" she all but squealed happily. The girl ran towards it but the boy was faster as his hand flashed out to grab her arm, causing her feet to skid to a halt.

"Slow down," he scolded her, "you don't know—"

"I know enough," she interrupted him as she bounced eagerly on her toes. "C'mon! Oh, it's been ages since we slept on anything other than the ground!"

Five remained resolutely in place and prepared to argue with her again about being careful— and he was usually the one at the receiving end of the lecture! Lola turned towards him, her gaze bright and excited as she tugged purposefully on his hand. "C'mon, Fives."

"What?"

Lola tilted her head slightly. "What, what?"

"What did you call me?"

Her face warmed. Shoot. Why did she have to let that slip? "Uh, nothing."

Five knew he should let it go. That it probably didn't mean anything. That it was either just a slip of the tongue or something he misheard. But he didn't. "You used my name differently."

"It's called a nickname, idiot."

"Say it again."

"Say what again?"