Chapter Eleven: Veins

Start from the beginning

In any other family dynamic, the immediate thing to do would be to tell my father what I'd heard Lucius say on that phone. But I had zero proof, and my relationship with Papà was about as estranged as it got lately. The last thing I needed was more fuel for my father to trust Lucius over me too. What Lucius had said about gaining my father's trust over mine had hit me right in an insecurity. My father saw me as a threat to his business because I was trying to get away from it.

My biggest fear was that I'd tell Papà and he wouldn't believe me. That gaping hole between us would only get worse and that's when Lucius would do something to hurt my family.

Toweling off, I slipped on a clean grey cotton sweatshirt, underwear, leggings, and wool socks with my boots, before heading back into the basement where my girls were still snoozing away

"Hey, B" I said, shaking Bianca's arm. "B, wake up."

Bianca's eyes cracked open, and a grumpy moan came out. "What time is it?"

"Ten."

"In the morning? How are you awake?" She looked down at herself and the bowl of half-eaten Doritos in her arms. "Why am I holding a bowl of chips?"

Laughing, I took the bowl and put it on the coffee table. "I'm heading out. Just wanted to let you know."

"Kay-kay." She kissed the air. "Love ya."

I kissed the air back. "Love ya."

When I went to pull back, she lightly grabbed my sleeve, her brows furrowed together. "Did you tell me something weird last night? About a Leo or something?"

My heart hammered in my chest as I vaguely remembered blurting out that I was arranged to be married to Lucius. "A Leo?"

She squeezed the bridge of her nose. "Yeah, something about marriage and a big D?"

My laugh was a little strained. "Sounds like a wild dream."

"Totally..." Bianca rolled onto her side, snuggling into the couch "Although a fire sign with BDE is exactly what I'd wish upon you," she muttered sleepily.

I clicked my phone to turn it on, a part of me

"Doubt it," I replied to Bianca, before storming from the basement to call one of my dad's drivers. I managed not to look at my phone all the entire until they pulled up to Bianca's house, but as soon as I slid into the backseat my eyes fell on my phone screen and the text Lucuius had sent me this morning.

Lucifer: For a princess, you have cheap taste in lingerie.

I sat back in my seat, contemplating whether to text him back. If I really wanted to get down to the bottom of Lucius' intentions without starting anything serious, off very little evidence, maybe the best way was to investigate this myself instead of talking to my father. Last night Lucius had dug into an insecurity of mine that my father would take his side over mine. I hadn't even spoken to my father in weeks, and we lived in the same home. Now I was supposed to just walk into his office and tell him I had my suspicions about Lucius?

My driver dropped me off at my house. Not wanting anyone to catch a whiff of alcohol or remnants of the nightclub, I snuck in as quietly as possible and went upstairs to take a shower. I wrapped a towel around my hair and body and padded around my room to find a comfy sweat set to wear, when I noticed a few pieces of mail on my bed that Gemma must have put there.