|chapter 9|sorting people into sides|

Start from the beginning

"Hello there first year's." - she greeted the newcomers.- "Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts."

The woman said and Severus wanted to laugh. Slytherin's house was never like a family to him. They were all rude and did not truly care about each other. They only helped other Slytherin house members to gain or not to lose points. But they were doing that for their own good, not for others.

"You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room" - McGonagal continued and Severus shivered. He remembered that his roommates were hell. They were nasty, smelling pricks. Their things were all over the dorm. Snape could not imagine living like that again. But he will be okay. He has survived once so he would do it again. Well... he hoped.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

Severus knew very well that Slytherin did not get as much points as Gryffindor. Never. With the obvious Dumbledore's favoritism towards Gryffindor, it was almost impossible, so Snape helped his house as much as he could. It would not be as bad as it is if Dumbledore would give five or ten points, but that old man often gave them fifty, sometimes even a hundred. Now that Severus knew a lot of spells, he would try to get his house a victory.

"Now, form a line and follow me." - Professor McGonagall instructed. Some rustling could be heard as students tried doing as they were instructed. Lily stood in front of Severus and Potter went to stand behind, Snape guessed that Potter did that only because he could not stand near Lily. After Potter stood Black and Lupin and in front of Lily stood her friends that she rode a boat with.

Then Professor opened the doors to the Great Hall. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles which were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the Hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Severus looked them over and saw Dumbledore. He looked quite young and super excited. Severus could only wince, remembering how he let a spell and the headmaster was falling to his death. Severus suddenly became uneasy, will he have to do it again? He did not want to! Snape looked around looking for a distraction, feeling panicked.

A hand slit into his own and gave Severus a light squeeze of reassurance. Severus breathed in and out, repeating the process until he felt somewhat calm again. He turned to the person and was quite shocked to find Potter smiling at him. In his stupid dork smile. Severus scoffed and pulled his pale and cold hand out of Potter's darker and warmer one. He turned his attention to the front.

The kids stopped walking and their attention was on McGonagall, who walked to the front and stopped near the teacher's table, where stood a quite tall wooden stool. Professor went a bit to the side and came back with a brown old lump - the Sorting Hat. McGonagall gently carried it up to the stool and placed it on top of it. Then the hat started singing about the four founders of Hogwarts and the qualities sought by their respective Houses, seeming to make up words for the magical melody as it sang.

As it stopped singing, some of the older students started talking and the younger ones joined in. Just then a bunch of pearly-white and slightly transparent ghosts glided in through the back wall and across the room talking to one another and curiously glancing at the first years. Some of them shared lighthearted smiles and waves and some simply paid no attention to the first year's.