The old gentleman assured them that he will have someone check the car first thing in the morning from the village which was quite close by.

They were then shown to their room which was a simple yet clean place, perfect for their one-night stay. It was a huge room, common for old buildings, with sparse furniture that easily looked five-six decades old. Arthit looked around and realized that the building though old was indeed beautiful. Built in the classic Lanna style, the old building, however, creaked and moaned in the howling wind outside, much to Arthit's annoyance. If only it was morning already.

They were offered a simple but delicious dinner in the room after some time, and with a full stomach, Arthit's fears of being hacked to death calmed a bit. If only there was some way of knowing for certain that this place was not haunted.

The weather turned for the worse as the night progressed, and while Kongpob, tired from the day-long driving and sightseeing, had dozed off quickly, Arthit was feeling jumpy with the thunder and lightning. The constant groaning of the old wooden house in the wind did nothing to ease his fears. 

Scared, he looked around the neat room, making sure nothing or no one was crawling down towards them. The thought scared him shitless, and he covered his face, closing his eyes, praying to God, spirits, and guardian angels to protect him and Kongpob. Chanting mantras that he had learned as a child, he tried to soothe himself until he felt calm.

Just when he had relaxed enough to nod off, a sudden knock on the window startled him. His heart thudded, beating fast. Cold sweat broke out as sudden shakes raked his body. Were his ears playing tricks? Did he really hear a knock?

Tak! Tak! Tak!

There it was again. Scooting closer to Kongpob, he poked him hard. His voice failed him.

Tak! Tak! Tak! Tak! Tak!

He wanted to scream, but no sound escaped his lips as he grabbed Kongpob's arm in panic.

Gulping hard, he tried calling his husband's name.

"Kong!" he squeaked out, not recognizing his voice.

"Kooooonnggg!" he rasped as he shook his husband. Idiot! Other nights he would wake up with one poke for sexy times, and here in a matter of life and death, he was sleeping like a freaking vampire.

"Huh!" Kongpob felt like he was in a haze, hearing a weird siren sound calling him. Waking up, he realized it was his husband who, for some reason, was looking white as a sheet and shaking despite the duvet.

"Huh! What happened, Oon?"

"Sss.. ssome.. som.." Arthit tried to speak but failed.

"Oon, what's wrong!" Kongpob was finally alert enough to realize that his husband was petrified. Turning on the lights, he hugged Arthit closer.

"What's wrong?"

Pointing towards the window with shaking hands, Arthit tried speaking again.

"Some... someon... knocking!"