Chapter Thirty-Five

Baelyn POV

'I can't believe I was so damn worried.' I mutter, stuffing another piece of juicy fruit into my mouth.

'It's your damn pregnancy hormones,' Cassian, across the table in the cabin's kitchen, points his fork at my belly.

I glower at him, earning nothing but an amused smirk.

Smug bastard.

My mate wasn't wrong though; after his return yesterday and the weight of worry vacating my shoulders, my appetite had tripled. With two servings of dinner last night, and a cup of a warm, chocolaty drink – of which Cassian had found in the back of a cupboard and told me of how he and his two brothers would drink gallons of it when they were teenagers – it was a mystery that I was ravenous this morning for breakfast.

Well, not really a mystery. At least, Cassian had said when he had finished laughing at my state, our little bundle of joy has a good appetite like his parents.

I'd wacked him on the arm in playfulness, and it seemed that nothing could dim his good mood after the news last night.

And after spending so much time worrying and fearing, I felt a bit of that joy too.

'I wonder how Azriel is feeling after being cooped up in your cabin last night.' I muse, biting into yet another apple.

'Probably a lot more comfortable than he would have been listening to your sweet moaning all of last night.' Another smirk as his eyes darken in a way that has me clamping my legs together.

My cheeks heat with a flame not entirely from embarrassment. After reconciling, it took little effort to slip into our love for each other again, to feel each other so deeply, not just physically but also in our very souls. Safe to say neither of us slept for more than a few hours. Not that we minded in the least.

A deep voice clears itself uncomfortably by the doorway. Cassian and I pivot to find Azriel standing there, engrossed in shadows, arms folded, eyebrows raised. He must have winnowed in; apparently deciding to risk it.

This time, my cheeks heat with embarrassment.

'Good morning love birds,' he chides, walking around to an empty seat at the table and helping himself to a plate of food. 'anything exciting happen?'

Cassian opens his mouth but I kick him under the table, earning an 'ow' accompanied by an incredulous look.

'I wasn't going to say anything,' he hisses.

I give him a flat look, conveying enough of my belief in that.

Turning back to Azriel, I find the male smirking with feline delight. I quirk an eyebrow. 'Feeling perky are we?'

He mirrors the movement. 'It would seem the feeling is mutual.'

We stare down each other for a moment before chuckling.

'We do have some...' I search for the right word.

'Thrilling,' Cassian provides with a smile filled with love and pure delight.

My hand drifts to my heart, as I feel it expand with utter love and appreciation for my mate, and for what is to come for us. 'Yes,' I say. 'we have some thrilling news.'

The Spymaster's shadows go quiet, as if they too, were waiting. I let my eyes trail to Cassian's hazel ones and nod.

'We're expecting.' He says, biting his lip in a terrible effort to conceal the happiness written so, so clearly on the planes of his handsome face.