Chapter Twenty-Two

Cassian POV

I watch as my beautiful mate slips into her leathers, braids her long thick locks, and straps Heart Slayer to her hip. Being the High Lord's General, I kept weapons in many miscellaneous places around the House and in my room; she walks over to one of those locations and adds as many weapons as she can carry.

Begrudgingly, I rise from the warm bed, messy from our morning canoodling. Neither of us knew if we would make it out alive today, and the thought of never touching and never holding her close to me again makes my chest tighten unbearably.

I yank on my leathers and put on all seven siphons; daggers and swords finding their way onto my hip and down the length of my back just in case. Baelyn didn't have powers, at least, any that we knew of, but I would protect her with mine; protect her with everything I had. She straps an Illyrian blade down her back.

I pray to the Mother that we survived this day.

In the large room designated for the assembly of soldiers, Azriel stands in front of them looking as terrifying and majestic as ever, and as we walk past their limited ranks, I give them affirming nods. I give them hope even if I didn't have much for myself.

'Soldiers,' I say when Baelyn reach the front and flank Azriel. 'Today is the day that we fight for our Court, for our High Lord and Lady, and our honor. We fight because we know what we and this Court stand for and we won't stand aside and watch as someone tries to tear it apart. I am proud of each and every one of you who has not fallen prey to the lies and deceit of Devlon and the rest of camp Windhaven. Who will stand with me today as we fight to take back our honor?'

One uniform cry makes its way from each of the men's throats, cheers and growls mixed in between. Feral looks grow in their eyes as the hunger to battle, fight, grow, and know that I have done exactly what I wanted to.

'Then let's fly!' Azriel says above their battle cries and flies out the window.

Line by line the soldiers fly out the big doors and up to fall back into rank by Azriel. When everyone is out I turn to my mate.

'I love you.' I tell her, fighting to get the words out against the tightness in my throat.

She swallows, throat bobbing. 'I love you too,' her voice breaks and I pull her in for a hug, nearly crushing her against me.

Our lips meet in the most passionate and heartbreaking kiss.

Neither of us seems to get out any more words, so I just gently sweep her up in my arms and fly out the door to meet the others.

* * *

Baelyn POV

Cassian flies me to the position we chose for my battalion, far enough away from the camp that they wouldn't see us coming but also close enough that we don't have to walk far and waste energy.

He sets me down gently and squeezes my hand before shooting back up into the sky to lead his battalion around the far side of the camp.

The weather is typically misty and freezing, but a cloud hangs over everything as if even the sky was preparing for what was about to go down.

I take a shaky breath. I'd fought before, but nothing like this, nothing as serious and dangerous as this. And what if something happens to Cassian? What if he-

I don't let myself finish the thought. We would get out of this. We would. Because I don't know what I'd do if we didn't.

So, I throw my shoulders back and lift my chin. Cassian believes that I can lead this battalion, and I remind myself of that over and over again.