Chapter 6: First Kiss

I woke up in the hospital six days later, Shisui was seating at the edge of my bed looking out of the window. I could sense something was wrong, but I didn't know what.

"Sui, you, okay?" was all I could ask in a dry broken voice.

He looked back at me and wiped a tear from his cheek. "Hey you are awake, how do you feel?" he asked with a smile on his face.

"What is wrong?" I asked him, holding his hand. I never seen Shisui so sad before and I knew something was wrong.

"Mom died six days ago," he said and broke down right in front of me,"we buried her five days ago, Izu."

She died the day of the exams, that is why Shisui was there, that is why he was sad. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes and a sob that got stuck in my throat. I wanted to let it out, but I couldn't, it wouldn't come out. My heart was breaking to see Shisui in pain, "I'm sorry, brother", was all I could say as I pulled him closer so I could hug him. I rested my head on his shoulder and we cried in silent for a while.

Shisui looked back at and gave me a warm smile as he wiped the tears off his face, "don't worry Izu, we will be fine, I will take care of you."

I just hugged him tighter, "thank you, Sui," I whispered.

Shisui was getting ready to leave when Ibiki walked in the room. "Damm kid, you scared us really bad," he said as he saw me awake, then turning to Shisui. "I'm sorry for your loss, Shisui, if you need anything just ask, okay."

Shisui just nodded and turned to me, "I'll see you when I come back from my mission." Then he turned to face Ibiki, "Ibiki-sensei, can you see that she stays here until then? it will only take me two days tops."

"No worries, I'll make sure of that," Ibiki told him. "By the way, we have something for you, isn't that right Shisui?"

"Oh yeah I almost forgot," Shisui said walking towards the table at the end of my bed. He got a something out of a paper bag, "you are a Chunin now, congratulations," he said showing me the green vest.

I was shocked, I couldn't believe it, "but I didn't win," was all I could say. They both laughed at me and Shisui walked and handed me the vest.

"That is not the point of the exams, the point is for the Hokage and other very important people to see every shinobi individually and their strengths." Ibiki said still smiling, "You showed courage, creativity, and exceptionally battle tactics. The Hokage saw how well you performed, and he considered you a chunin candidate since the first exam."

"What about Itachi?" I asked looking at Shisui.

"He won the final round and became a chunin as well," Shisui said, "he also made sure to avenge you"

"Yeah, he put that kid under a nasty genjutsu," Ibiki said still in shock, "you could hear that kid scream all the way to the main street."

"Was it that bad?" I asked them and Shisui just nodded.

Shisui left for his mission and just as he said he came back, in two days. I spend four days at home before returning to my missions with Ibiki. In the morning, I got ready to go to my first official mission as a chunin. I left the house and walked towards the exit of the Uchiha District. I looked down on the street and kicked some rocks as I realized that it had been more than two weeks since I have seen Itachi. He didn't even come to see me at the hospital, I thought. I was annoyed and somewhat heartbroken. I almost died and he didn't come, "stupid Itachi," I muttered and I kicked another rock.

"What did I do?" I gasped and froze in place when I heard his voice coming  from behind me. He walked in front of me and tilted his head to the side. He looked at me and gave me a warm smile, "I'm sorry, I dint go see you at the hospital, my fathe-"