Issues

She sat on the edge of her bed, having got in from the hospital just five minutes prior. She looked around the room, her lips pressed together. It just didn't feel like home. The apartment was beautiful, high ceilings, tall windows, and an amazing view. But she didn't want to be here.

They only had half a year to go. Six months of their fellowships, and then they would be together again, permanently. She needed it to be sooner. She needed him here, for days like this, when she became overwhelmed, and it all became too much. When the deaths started to affect her the most. When her favourite patient didn't make it – the smart young girl, who reminded her so much of herself, who had arrested that morning and had been unrevivable.

She'd already broken down on the phone to Derek after it had happened, completely offloading on him. They hadn't been able to stay on the phone for long, and the short call hadn't been enough to help. But she didn't want to be a burden. He had enough on his plate.

She took a few deep breaths. She didn't want to bother him again. His dad had been back in for scans and tests, his health status unknown, the whole family terrified his cancer was back. He had enough on his plate. He didn't need to worry about her as well.

Part of her wanted to get the next flight out to LA. She'd been given the next two days off, having been over her work hours and needing to take annual leave before the end of her fellowship. She needed it. She needed to regroup, ground herself. There was no point trying to work in such a high pace environment on minimal energy, physical and mental.

A knock on the front door distracted her from her thoughts. She hadn't been expecting anyone. Anyone she may have an acquaintance with was working – and she didn't remember giving them her address. And she hadn't even bothered to order dinner yet, with her having no food in.

She sighed, shrugging to herself as she stood up, wrapping a blanket around herself, even though she was still in her work clothes. Upon opening the door, she was stunned and elated at the same time. It took her a second, grinning at the man in front of her – the one person she needed.

"What are you doing here?" She breathed, eventually.

"Making sure you're okay," he grinned back at her.

"But... you're here, two weeks early, how..." she frowned, confused.

"I made it work. You needed me. Can I come in?" he chuckled softly.

"Yeah, yeah," she breathed as she moved to the side to let him in, closing the door behind him, "I'm just... you're here."

"I'm here," he grinned softly.

He pulled her into a hug, and she returned it immediately. She buried her face against his neck as she breathed him in, feeling a weight unload from her chest just from his touch. Her arms tightened around him, as though she were clinging on for dear life.

"I didn't realise how much I needed this hug," she murmured.

"I've got you," he whispered, his lips touching against the top of her head.

"I was about to make dinner, or order dinner depending on what I've got left in," she said as she looked up at him again, still not believing her eye.

"I brought dinner," he grinned softly, picking up the bag he'd put down on the floor that she hadn't even registered, "Italian food, ice cream, and tequila."

"You're literally perfection," she grinned back at him, moving on to her tip toes to kiss him quickly.

"I mean... if you say so," he chuckled, kissing her again.