Chapter 2 - A Knight

"Outrider Amber reporting for duty!" Acting grand master Jean is busy as always yet she somehow finds the time to hear me out on my daily reports.

Every morning I would always bring the acting grand master a cup of coffee, tea, or any snacks. As usual she either barely touches it, leaves it half eaten, or on rare occasions- she finishes the product.

Today however her cup of tea is still filled to the brim and it's probably cold by now. She is just so busy all the time and not even I can help her ease the work load, but I try my best.

"Hello, Amber. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing great! I can assume that you're tired?"

"Yeah, you'd be right about that. I had a small break not too long ago. Me and Lisa were at good hunter's eating lunch together. Sara was kind enough to give us our meal for free."

"Of course you deserve a free lunch! After all you've done for Mondstadt- I'm sure no one would bat an eye if you stole a bag of onions. So.. about today's report." This is where I get a little bit nervous.

After all.. There's an outworlder here in Mondstadt and yes it was kind of me to give Saiken a place to stay, but.. is he trustworthy? He's no threat to us, right? I wonder what Jean has to say about this.

"So about today.. There are no hilichurl camp as of yet so we're in the clear for now. Slime count are very low and no sign of the Abyss order lurking around as far as I can tell."

"Sounds like a pretty good thing to me. No sign of danger near our borders yet you feel tensed. Did something happen, Amber?" Jean easily reads me like a book.

"I've encountered another outworlder. His name is Saiken and he says that he's from a planet called Earth. I have already introduced him to the honorary knight, but it seems that they both have no connection. Saiken is here in Mondstadt and I already gave him a place to stay.."

"Is that so? Well, Lumine did us wonders and resolved Mondstadt biggest threat. Perhaps Saiken is here to do the same? I don't know, but it was appropriate and kind of you to help him out regardless. We'll have to keep our eyes on him however. He's not as trusting as Lumine, but that can all change. Let's not judge too quickly and give him a chance."

"Y-yeah. He says that he wants to be apart of the knights of Favonious. What do you think, acting grand master?"

"I don't see why not. He can be under your care for a few months, Amber. You are the sole member of the outriders after all. I'm sure you have what it takes to carry on your grand father's legacy."

"You think so? Why Saiken though? Why wasn't anyone else assigned to me? I know that no ones wants to be apart of the outriders, but.. any apprentice will do."

"Sorry, Amber, I just felt like no one was qualified to be an outrider. You have particular set of skills which is hard to match, but this Saiken fellow- I have a good feeling that he'll be great under your care."

"If you say so acting grand master. I'll keep a close eye on Saiken and show him the ropes. Don't over work yourself, okay? A well rested up Jean is much more efficient than a burnt out, drained Jean."

"Mm, I'll be sure to get rest when I can. I'll be seeing you around, Amber and all the best to you."

Jean finally has a sip of the cup of tea I made her as I leave her room after I waved goodbye. The acting grand master isn't a huge fan of tea, but the herbs I used and the tea I brew has health benefits.

Also.. I don't want her drinking coffee everyday although the coffee I brew isn't as good compared to Jean's. It's so rare for the acting grand master to brew coffee due to how busy she is so she's stuck with my lack luster skills.