Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"'No meaning or purpose'?" I asked in disbelief. I scoffed again and shifted slightly. "They... they tell stories, they paint pictures in the sky. They're a map, a universal guide to know where to go. They're... breathtaking." Sorin scoffed and chuckled.

"Breathtaking? Now that's a bit far. You know what's breathtaking is..." he cut himself off and when I looked from the sky to see what had stopped him, our eyes met. Sorin was staring at me, his eyebrows furrowed ever so slightly.

"What?" I asked. Sorin cleared his throat and looked up again.

"Uh, nothing." He chuckled. "I don't see any damn pictures or maps," he said. I shook my head and scooted closer to him, pointing up.

"Look, soldier, that there is the North star. It's the brightest, and your guide if you're ever lost." My hand shifted to the right. "That is the Jehala's sword. It's said to have been made by the god of the elements as a reminder to the people of who watches over them. It's said that he protects the most worthy in their most dire times." I blew out a breath. "A load of shit, don't you think?" Glancing down, I saw that I was much, much, closer to Sorin than I thought.

He was right beside me, so close my back was brushing his inner thigh of his outstretched leg. I watched him as he watched the sky where my hand still pointed, his mouth parted, jaw slack. My gut cinched, face softening. I suddenly didn't remember why I'd been out here at all.

"I see it," he chuckled, a murmur so soft I wouldn't have heard it if it were not for how close we were. Slowly, he looked down and caught my eyes. Surprise washed over him. We were quiet for many moments.

"You see," I breathed, swallowing deeply, "I told you they were breathtaking."

Sorin shook his head softly. His eyes glanced at my lips, then back up. "That's not why I'm breathless, Vera." Our faces were barely an inch from each other. His breath warmed my cheek. Neither of us spoke. We were staring at each other, both of us confused and so, so close. Too close, I reminded myself, yet I didn't move. Didn't want to.

My hand dropped slowly, falling into my lap. Sorin's head dipped down, testing to see what I'd do, testing to see if I wanted to. And God, I did. So fucking bad.

Don't forget the only reason why he's here.

Rafe's warning coursed through me.

Don't forget what he has to do.

My jaw clenched, and I shifted my head away from him, fixing my eyes on the ground. Like a coward, I didn't want to see his face, and selfishly, I wanted him to leave.

It was as if he'd read my mind, because after a second, he stood and left quietly. That's where I finally glanced down to where he had been sitting and was surprised to find, in his place, a coat. His coat.

Slowly, I reached out. My fingers brushed the thick fabric before they wrapped around the sleeve. And I pulled on his coat, warming up instantly.

My neck turned to the entrance of the cave, and as I fell asleep, wrapped up in Sorin's coat, I found myself imagining what his lips might've felt like against mine.

_________________

But even Sorin couldn't keep away the nightmares.

This one was bad, worse than I'd had in a while. I woke up screaming and lucid, pushing off whoever was shaking my shoulder in a desperate attempt to wake me.

When I finally calmed down enough that my vision focused, I saw it was Rafe. "It was a dream," he said soothingly, helping me sit up then immediately backing away a few paces. He's woken me up from enough nightmares to know to give me space as I gather my surroundings.