Chapter 10

A/N: Smut this chapter. Just so you're aware.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The sky had turned a dusty purple when they exited the mine, reminiscent of the small wisteria tree that grew on the edge of her property. Stars dotted the sky, growing brighter and more numerous with each passing minute. A cool breeze nipped at her bare skin, but she welcomed the chill after sitting in what felt like an underground sauna for nearly an hour.

As they walked back in the direction of the carpenter shop, Sam broke the silence when he threw his hands over his head, grunting loudly amidst the cracks and pops of his back. "What a day. I think I'm going to call it night and head back to town."

"I'll head back with you." Haley gave Verona a quick squeeze. "Are you alright to head back on your own? I can always walk back to the farm with you instead."

"I'll be fine," Verona knocked shoulders with Sebastian, "This guy can walk me home."

The color rose in his cheeks. "Uh, yeah, I'll make sure she gets back alright."

"You better," Haley said with a wag of her finger, "If anything happens to her you have to deal with me, McCarthy, ya hear?" Sebastian held up his hands, smiling despite himself. She gave Verona another quick squeeze and turned to Sam. "Ready?"

"You betcha." He shrugged off his coat and draped it over her shoulders. His hands lingered on her shoulders, trailing up and down her upper arms. She welcomed the touch as she wrapped the jacket tight around her lithe frame. The sexual tension between them smothered Verona. So thick, she felt like she might be able to cleave through it with her knife.

Suddenly realizing they weren't alone, Sam let his hands drop and cleared his throat. "We still on for Solarian Chronicles tomorrow?"

Sebastian peered between them, skeptical. "Sure. Whatever."

Haley's eyes sparkled as she gushed, "Oh my god, after today, I have so many ideas for my character! I think I want her to have a crystal dagger just like mine." The tension between them melted away as she motioned to the scabbard on her hip. She linked her arm through his and asked, "What do you think?"

"Fucking sick, man," he agreed as they wandered down the trail, "I'm always telling Seb that ya gotta look good while you're stabbing people. That's why I'm always wasting my gold on new weapons in the game." Her laugh carried as they disappeared around the bend.

Verona stood there for a moment, processing. "You don't think they...?"

Sebastian didn't even give her a chance finish that thought. "There's no way that would ever work out. They would kill each other."

Verona barked on a laugh. "Right?"

She caught his gaze. Another shift happened between them – so sudden it knocked the air straight out of her. His eyes sparkled like obsidian stone, beautiful and endless. She could fall straight in and lose herself in them. A beat of silence passed between them. Then another.

Verona twirled a loose strand of hair around her finger and said, "So, did you mean it when you said you'd take me home?"

"That was the plan." He took her hand and led her up the mountain path.

It had been some time since they'd been alone together, just the two of them. Not since they had... Her cheeks burned. It hadn't been much, but she thought about that moment a lot – especially at night in the comfort of her bedroom, a hand trailing between her legs as she writhed beneath her bedsheets. The idea of spending a stolen moment with him made her heart race.