Kat wondered what the shadow was. A dragon? Or a dinosaur – one of those winged pterodactyls? Gandalf probably knew, but she couldn't ask him.

I wish I could talk to you, she thought forlornly.

Behind her, Gandalf chuckled softly. "But you can."

You're kidding me. You can hear me? You've heard me all along? Kat's fur rose and her tail grew bushy. Her conversations with Legolas had been private, for goodness' sake!

Only if I concentrate hard, came the reply. Gandalf's mental voice sounded weak and distant, like he was speaking over a bad phone line. I am not as attuned with nature as others of my Order, or as elves for that matter.

So... You haven't secretly been listening to... uh, stuff I've said to... uh... certain elves?

"I have not listened much, no." He chuckled again, and to her surprise he stroked her head. "It is like that, then. I suspected as much."

Kat didn't need to ask him what he meant. I won't let it affect my quest, if that's what you worry about.

"I know. I trust your professionalism and competence – both of you."

Thank you. Kat felt a warm knot of affection build up within her, mingled with a slight guilt. She had misjudged the wizard, never quite warming up to him, and she had not mourned his death. Sorry for toying with your beard those times before.

"Apology accepted." Somehow she knew he understood what she really was apologizing for.

/\_,,_.,
( *ᆽ* )

The spring predawn was moist and crisp when the Grey Company gathered on the courtyard, making ready to leave. Elrond's sons came over to Legolas and Gimli, leading two identical brown mares (of course they had to be identical!).

Legolas still hadn't figured out who of the twins was who, but now he got an idea.

"Such fine horses. Elrohir – what is yours named?" he asked.

Scars looked pleased. "She is Nórima."

A-ha! Scars was Elrohir then. Finally!

"And mine is Nessima." No-scars, who Legolas now knew was Elladan, stroked his horse lovingly.

The main hall door slammed shut and Éowyn came hurrying out. This time she was dressed in men's clothes and wore a sword.

Legolas had to stop himself from looking at her exposed legs. Was the woman not embarrassed to show her curves so openly?

Gimli and the twins were less tactful. "Shapely," murmured Elladan.

"Slim, but not too slim," Elrohir agreed.

"A fine lass. Feisty."

Éowyn had brought a parting cup of wine that she gave to Aragorn, who swallowed a mouthful before passing it to the rest of them. Legolas remembered Kat's words about hygiene and carefully wiped the chalice with his sleeve before he took a miniscule sip, and noticed that Elrond's sons did the same.

"Aragorn, will you go?" Éowyn's voice was slightly distorted and her eyes were red.

"I will."

"Then will you not let me ride with your company, as I have asked?"

Sadly shaking his head, Aragorn said that he could not allow that unless her brother and the king agreed, but they wouldn't arrive at Dunharrow until the next day.

Éowyn sank down on her knees, and tears began to trickle down her cheeks as she begged him to change his mind.

Legolas' heart ached. It hurt to see such a proud lady humiliating herself before the whole company, and again he was struck by the unfairness of her situation. As far as he could judge human ages, she was an adult woman, yet her brother and uncle had all power over her.