Prologue: Jack's Backstory

Prologue:

Castiel Jaymes Bradbury was born to Charlie Bradbury at 6 am on April 17th, 2018. It was a beautiful spring morning and the joy on Charlie's face was indescribable. She looked at her best friend Sam who had fathered the child through insemination. Despite the beauty of the day and of the little boy in her arms, Charlie knew something was wrong. The doctors had said there was a chance she might not survive and they were right.

She placed Castiel in Sam's arms and when her head hit the pillow she was gone. There was nothing that Sam could do to save. He stared down at the blue eyed, dark haired little boy with a sad smile even as his heart shattered at the death of his best friend.

There was no way that Sam could bear to raise the boy himself and with a heart full of grief, he decided the boy's best chance at a normal and happy life was the orphanage. He placed the child in a safe haven box at the fire station and kissed the child's forehead as he whispered, "Goodbye little angel." He tucked a note in the baby's blanket made by Charlie and disappeared into the night.

Castiel Jaymes Novak never knew either of his parents and the only home he's ever known is the orphanage.

Couples would come to adopt a child but as cute as Castiel was, they could never see him as their child. So, he was repeatedly passed over. Then one day the last child besides Castiel himself was adopted making Castiel the only one left at the orphanage.

Once when Castiel was 4, he was given to a foster family who at first, he thrived with, and things seemed to be going well for him. Castiel felt loved and safe with his new family. Everything was great until a fateful night when Castiel's foster dad gave him a bath. He told Castiel they were going to play a game.

Even at four-years-old Castiel knew this was a bad game and he told him, "Daddy I don't want to play the game."

His foster dad ignored his requests and continued what he was doing.

When Betty came to check on Castiel, he tried to tell her what happened, but he was too scared. Then one night one of the other foster kids broke a very expensive vase belonging to the family. It was an antique which outraged the foster parents and they demanded to know who had done it. Castiel gave a halfhearted gesture to the boy responsible, but the boy was quick to blame Castiel instead.

When Castiel saw how angry the foster mom got, he realized they were going to send him back but even though this should've made Castiel sad, he felt happy about it because it meant leaving and not having to play the bath game his foster dad had played with him. So, he took the blame. So, they scolded him for lying and sent him to his room for the night. They called the orphanage and demanded that they come fetch Castiel first thing in the morning. Castiel fell asleep, clutching his teddy bear tightly, looking forward to leaving in the morning.

Betty came to retrieve Castiel and as they drove back to the orphanage, she tried to ask Castiel what really happened because he had never caused any problems before. Castiel wanted to tell her, but he was still scared that somehow his foster dad would find out and hurt him again. So instead, he told her he had broken it by accident and didn't realize how important it had been to the family. He told Betty he apologized but they got so mad that he said he hadn't done it. Castiel felt bad for lying to Betty, but he was afraid of telling the truth.

Castiel wasn't sent to another foster home or adopted until almost a year later when an application came across the orphanage director's desk. When he met with the applicant, he realized there were similarities between this person and Castiel's biological mother Charlie whom he knew personally. So, he reached out to the man, Zach Anderson asking him to come to the orphanage for another meeting, eight months after Zach was put on the list so he could see how Zach would interact with Castiel. That's where our story begins on that fateful day Zach received the phone call that would change his life forever.