Chapter 23

The sun rose over the mountains to wake up the population of Kalos, and more importantly, of Lumios City. It was the day everyone had been waiting for.

One person was up early, beating the sun by at least an hour. The young man and his team were relaxing though, not training like they almost always were.

"Pika pi, pi chu pika!" Pikachu squeaked as he sank a little deeper into the river.

"You said it buddy, this is what we needed." Ash said, looking over and smiling as he sees his partner fully submerged other than his nose.

All along a small stretch of the bank, Ash and his team were relaxing. They had been working hard on and off the battlefield.

"I wish we could stay here longer, but we need to get back to the centre to get you all checked out before our battle with Alain." He said as he stood up from the water.

Lycanroc, Charizard, and Infernape all looked at Ash and pouted. They all loved being in the water. Even though Charizard and Infernape were Fire Pokémon, they loved relaxing in a shallow water. Pikachu, Greninja, and Lucario were already out and waiting. They all loved battling and were ready to go.

After arguing with Charizard for a few moments and promising to come back after the battle if they win, all his team was out of the water and on their way back to the Pokémon Centre.

Upon entering the centre, Ash saw one person who was up already in the cafeteria. After dropping his Pokémon off with Nurse Joy, Ash slowly walked into the cafeteria and up behind the beautiful honey blond haired young woman who was standing beside the counter, waiting for her food that she ordered.

As Ash wrapped his arms around her from behind, he kissed her shoulder softly. "Good morning beautiful." He said.

"Mm...good morning handsome." Serena said. "I didn't know you were up already."

"Well we went for a soak in the river to just relax before the battle today." Ash informed her. "We just got back"

Serena turned around and gave Ash a big hug and kissed him gently. "Are you nervous?" She asked as she rested her face on his shoulder.

"Very but I know we will win this time."

"I have all the faith in the world in you Ash. Nothing is going to stop you."

Just then the cook at the cafeteria called out. "Serena, here is your breakfast!"

Ash and Serena broke their hug so that Serena could pick up her food while Ash placed his order and then went to get a table for them in front of the window that looked out over the fountain that was in the middle of a bed of flowers.

After Ash got his meal, they sat together and enjoyed the moment. They had been surrounded by everyone for the last week or so and hadn't had much alone time.

"Ash, where do you think my mother will suggest for us to go? It wouldn't be another region you have already been will it?" Serena asked as she sipped her coffee.

"No, it wouldn't be anything like that. I honestly don't know. I haven't even given it that much thought. I have been focussed on winning the Kalos Tournament and also on making sure I didn't lose my nerve when it came to telling you how I have felt about you." He said. "I don't even know if I will challenge the Elite Four and Diantha if I win today. Being Champion of one region is enough honestly."

Ash took another bite of his breakfast burrito as he thought about something. After a few moments and a few more bites, Ash looked up at Serena.

"Serena, have you thought about what I said when you asked what my plan was for the future?" Ash asked quietly. He was nervous as to what Serena would say.