Chapter 6

One month later

Over the entire month of July, Michael and I spent every second of every day together and that made saying goodbye to him and Chris at the front door of my mom's house was hard to do. They both were upset as well but I had one more year of high school to knock out and I'd be free to do what I please. Plus, this wasn't necessarily goodbye, but more like 'a see you later'.

August 12, 2010

It was the first day at school and I really didn't want to go but I knew I had to. I had damn near all of my credits so I only went to school for 2 periods. I got dressed in a red, black and white, converse t-shirt, dark straight leg jeans, and black white and red low top converses. After I downed a bowl of frosted flakes, I was on my way to go get Chelsey. She came out of the house with a fitted pink tee, jean shorts, all pink vans and a smile plastered so big in space that the weather satellite could pick it up on its radar. "The fuck you so happy about?" I asked her as I drove into the direction of school. "No reason!" She said with a little too much emphasis. I knew that she would eventually tell me. As I pulled in to the parking lot of John Marshall High School, I sighed and just sat there. I hated school with a passion but this was my ticket out of L.A. so I had to do what I had to do. Chelsey and I walked inside the school to retrieve our class schedules and headed to breakfast. They were serving grits, sausage, and a biscuit so I went ahead and got a plate. When I sat down and said my grace, I was approached by Romeo's younger sister, Cymphonique. She was a sophomore this year and getting bigger b by the minute. "Hey, Ci it's been so long since the last time I saw you!" She said as I stood up to give her a hug. "I know. I was at your house a month ago but you were touring I believe." "Yeah, Junior told me. I came over because mom wanted me to ask you if you could clip her ends and do a sew in today." I looked at her with a weird face but tried to play it off. It had been so long since Ms. Sonya last asked me to clip her ends but I didn't mind. Although Romeo and I had our problems, their family was still mine. "Of course I can. Tell her I'm going to come after Chelsey and I eat lunch once second hour is over." She nodded her head and gave me another hug before she walked away.

***

I looked down at the clock on the dash board of my BMW and saw that it was going on 11:45. I was beginning to get pissed off because Chelsey was taking her slow ass time to get outside so we could leave. About a minute later, I saw her approaching the car with a food tray in her hand. She opened the door and I immediately snapped. "What the fuck? What happened to us eating lunch at Apple Bee's?" She looked at me with her eyes wide before saying "Oh" and jumping out of the car and throwing the tray into the nearest trash can. She ran back laughing her ass off and I couldn't help but do the same. Chelsey was basically my only friend in Los Angeles and I wouldn't change that for anything. When we got to Apple Bee's, she flipped through the menu like we didn't eat here all the time. I knew that she was going to get the steak and shrimp like she normally did. Once we ordered and waited for our food. We began to make small talk. "So, what's up with you and Michael?" Chelsey asked me while sipping on my lemonade. "We're just friends. I don't want anything to happen to our friendship anymore so I'm keeping it simple. I obviously can't say the same for you and my brother. Y'all horny asses can't stay away from each other." Chelsey smiled from ear to ear at the sound of Chris' name. I didn't know why she kept talking to him because she knew exactly what he was capable of and that's not being faithful or honest but you can't tell anyone anything about the person they love, so fuck it. "Well, he and Robyn are officially done, so now we're working on our relationship." I nodded at her and sipped some of my raspberry lemonade. I just hoped that this wouldn't be a repeat of anything that's happened in the past with either of our situations.

***

Around 1:30, we were on our way to the Miller residence. We both walked up to the door and I pressed the doorbell. Ms. Sonya came to the door with all smiles as she let Chelsey and I inside of the house. We walked inside the kitchen where she had the tracks, needle, thread, comb, and rubber bands sitting on the bar. "I appreciate you for coming by. Percy and I are going on a cruise and I need something done to my hair so I won't be fighting with it every day." She explained to me. Ever since Romeo and I began dating, I've been doing his mom's hair and that would never change. Romeo and I's problems would never get in the way of the relationship I had with his parents. As I laid the tracks for Ms. Sonya, I heard the front door open. A few moments later, Romeo appeared inside of the kitchen. I hadn't talked to him since Michael and I reconciled and he knew from blogs and gossip sites that we were back friends. They didn't get along for reasons that I can't get into right now but soon enough, it'll be known. Once I was done with her hair, she paid me $50 and left out to start packing her clothes, although they wouldn't be leaving until the end of the weekend. Romeo asked to speak to me alone so we dismissed ourselves to th e family room while Chelsey stayed in the kitchen. We sat on two different couches but close enough so we wouldn't have to yell across the room. "What's up? Shouldn't you be at school?" I asked him. "I came home to get something I left if that's okay with you." He said being sarcastic, but not in a rude way. I smiled and rolled my eyes. "I see you're talking back to Michael again." I nodded my head at his statement. I already knew this would be the topic of the conversation. This was the last thing that Romeo would've wanted to see happen. "Yeah, but nothing serious. We're just friends." "I'm asking because, I wanted to know if you would mind going to homecoming with me?" "What would Michael and I have to do with that?" "I had to make sure you guys weren't dating. I didn't want to be inviting anyone's girlfriend to escort me." My eyes grew wide when he said that. In no way was I trying to escort anyone on homecoming in front of all of the people who would be attending UCLA's, but since he and I were in a good space, I didn't see a problem with it.