33

I bit my lip as my phone started ringing. BITCH lit up my face while I gasped instantly answering. Even going as far to look both ways before jumping inside some random closet in this giant mansion. "Anna, where are you?".

I heard her sniff. "I'm home, they think its me and father is pissed at you. Whatever you do don't come home. He's..."

I gripped my phone tighter. "He's what?".

She scoffed. "H-he's punishing Alec for knowing, you will be too when you come home".

I hit the back of my head on the closet. That's just great. "How bad?".

I heard her sigh. "Not too sure but he's screaming. They think its me. They're not going to hand me over, thank god. They think they'll be able to fight whoever comes".

I could already feel tears start to surface. "Okay, where are you exactly?".

She paused before she whimpered. "In the dungeons".

Ohh that's good. Like that's impossible to break into without walking inside our house. I could actually feel a wobbly smile on my face despite knowing what Alec is currently going through. "Why would they think its you and not a Hale?".

I heard her sob. "B-because my eyes are blue".

Just as the word left her the closet door snapped open. In a chain reaction, I jumped fumbling  with my phone before instantly hanging up.

I gulped and looked up into Derek's expectant face.

He frowned. "Who are you talking to in a broom closet?".

I opened and closed my mouth. "N-no one, it was a telemarketer". 

His green eyes narrowed. "Anna or Alec?".

Fuck.

I felt my own eyes narrow. "No. One".

He sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I can't help Avery if you don't trust me".

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I trust yo-"

"What are you two lovebirds doing in the closet, huh?".

Oh god. 

I peered over Derek's shoulder to find a smirking Laura Hale leaning in the doorway of whatever room this is. She rose an eyebrow at us before she rolled her eyes. "Whatever, dinners ready".

I swallowed. "Like...just us or.."

Laura smirked and winked. "We eat together as a pack, I'm sure you'll adjust in no time".

Derek shot Laura a look that read 'ease up'. 

I tusked. "We eat together too".

She nodded. "Great, you can stop looking at me like I just asked you to cut off your arm then".

Derek exhaled and turned to her with a fake smile. "We'll be there soon".

She held her hands up in defence. "Fine".

We both watched her leave the room and before I could even open my mouth I felt his hand covering it. He shook his head. "I think she'll be listening now. After dinner".

His eyes levelled with mine and I nodded as he removed his hand. I gulped. "You're not going to like it though".

He shrugged. "Yeah, I figured as much".

Dinner doesn't do this justice. 

We all sat at a round table, myself directly across from Tahlia Hale. I felt tense, and now being my 'pack' they all know it too. Can sense it. 

Cora scrunched up her face at me. "Stop feeling so tight!".

Tahlia hummed and patted her shoulder. "Its tense, Cora. Avery just needs time to adjust".

There's that word again. Adjust. 

An impossible feat considering this is the Hale pack. The pack directly responisble for for my pack's current state. Alec's punishment. Anna's impending trial. 

I bit my lip. My pack are not going to give Anna up.

Its against the feud.

I sighed and felt a bit of pain lift watching Derek's encourgaing smirk.

Its an open act of war.

And now I need to choose what do I fight for?. Or a better question is who?.

Derek Hale, or my family. 

What ever the choice, 

Someone I love will lose and when the stakes are this high, that only ever means death. 

A/N

A bit shorter than my regular chapters but, it is what is at this point haha. Hope you enjoyed it.