☆32☆ secretive best friends

Comenzar desde el principio

Jeopardenn looked up at the broad figures standing just above Karmale. The looks they gave him were intimidating enough for him to low his gaze back to his business.

"That's impressive, Councillor."

"Thank you, Sir."

"You don't have to thank me. It's your devotion and passion for the occupation that enables you produce epic results. You are one of my best employees. I'll miss having you around."

"Umm...and why would that be so?"

"Miss Kane, when you came to work with us here at the City Law firm, you signed a four year contract."

"Oh yeah. I remember that."

"Yes, Councillor. That contract expires tomorrow."

"That should be okay. I mean... there is always chance for renewal. I can simply renew the contract."

"Oh no, Councillor. As much as I would love that myself, you cannot."

"Why not?"

"Karmale, last month, you know-mmm..."

"When I was not around?"

"Yes, exactly that. Councillor, we had some new lawyers come in. A few interns here and there."

"Wow. So are you saying that there is no room for me?"

"I'm sorry Karmale. There isn't any."

"Why wouldn't there be any, Mr. Jeopardenn?" Karmale wanted to stand up and claim to whatever right she believed she had. It sounded unfair and weird. Her boss for a moment could not talk. And then as if he had remembered something, he spoke.

"Well, Karmale...you know-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, I know I'm good enough. Too good to be replaced by an intern. Not to critic but no one here was born last night. We can all see that an intern is no way close to me. You, I and everyone else in this law firm knows that."

Her stomach hurt, she winched but still spoke. She had to. She needed to. Otherwise, she was on the verge of losing her position at a renowned law firm.

"Karmale...i-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, this is not fair. I know I absconded from work lately- " Her tone was unlike her. It sounded sickly and feeble unlike the earlier one that had held demand.

"-But it was never my intention. Didn't- I wanted to explain myself to you that day when I came back but you simply said it was okay. Had someone else spoke on my behalf already?"

"Councillor-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, is it a grudge?"

"That's a misconception, Karmale. If there is anything then I am at fault. I should apologise to you. It's not a grudge. If it were then only you have the right to be angry for how despicably I behaved with you. Karmale, I'm sorry about how awful i was with you. I hope you can find it within you to pardon me."

"It's okay. Forgive me too. I may have overstepped somewhere. The coffee, that was a bit too much, I know."

"Yes, Councillor. That was a bit too much. Maybe I deserved it anyway. I behaved like a bag of crap."

"Hmmmn."

"I learned my lesson."

"I learned a lot from you too. I appreciate. I'll get going."

"Alright."

The afternoon had been far from good. First the Italian food that was causing Karmale a lot of pain. She barely sat down without clutching onto her tummy. Now, she had been-- in simple terms asked to leave the firm. Though it had been done rather politely.