Prologue 2

When I was in kinder garten, I met my first real friend. Before her, I knew only few children of my mother friends, but they lived far away, so I saw them couple of times a year. Victoria was different. I don't really remember how we started to talk - but few days later, we were best friends. She was extraordinary - and even when I was a child, I noticed it the first time we saw each other. She was definitely beautiful - in this angel way. She had curly blond hair, blue eyes and sweet smile. But she was also very nice, friendly and she made everybody feel better. Especially me. When I was with her, I was confident, and funny and I felt great. 

Some day, our teacher told us that Victoria is not coming to kinder garten any time soon. She never said goodbye. She just left. And I was alone again. Then I found out that she had heart diseas. She was supposed to have operation soon. I didn't see her later, but I thought everything was going to be fine. After Christmas, I asked my mum can we visit Victoria. And then my mum told me the truth - that Victoria was gone. That my best friend died on Christmas Day. 

After that, everything happened very fast. I was going to kinder garten everyday, just like I used to before. But I didn't want to have new friends. Then I went to school, and I still wasn't able to connect with anyone. And nobody wanted to connect with me. 

Few years later, when I was in high school, I went to ger grave. I talked to her a little, I cried of course, and then I made the decision, that changed my whole life. 

I decided that I will be a doctor. No matter what it takes, I will save people. And that's why I am here, in New York, standing in front of hospital building, that will be my second (or even first) home for at least 7 years. 

Oh, I didn't introduce myself. I am Marie. Marie St. James, younger sister of future Broadway star Jessie. 

And I am going to kick your asses.