Soft Conversation

I'm sitting at my usual table I'm front of the coffee shop, freshly showered and smelling like someone elses soap. My not-date with Seras warrants my best. I smooth back my moist hair and fix my outfit, recently stolen just for this occasion. My jeans are crisp, my shirt a little itchy, and my coat is a bit too tight, but I'm certain I look good. I tested out my new look on another patron and didn't receive one odd look. I only hope that Seras will appreciate the effort I've put into my attire today.

     My head snaps up as I hear Seras's vehicle rumble up to the shop. She parks right out front, directly in my line of sight. I tuck my hair behind my ears and straighten in my seat, my hands furling and unfurling, unsure where to sit. Eventually I settle on placing my hands on the table. Good thing, too, because Seras approaches the shop and gives me a friendly nod as she passes my table. I smile goofily and watch her enter the shop and step up to the counter. She orders her usual twice, which is more than strange. If she ever gets more than one coffee it's usually for her partner, but he likes his coffee black.

     Confused, my eyes linger on Seras as she asks the barista for one of the over sized cookies they sell. When she gets it, she moves deeper into the shop to sit at one of the tables inside, way in the back. Her head lifts ever so slightly and her eyes lock with mine, then she raises her hand and waves for me to come join her. My heart leaps and I stand up abruptly, knocking over my chair in the process. Embarrassed, I right my chair, then smooth down my shirt and attempt to look leisurely as I walk into the shop.

     The bell chimes when I open the door and I breathe in the scent of coffee beans. It's delightful and calming, but I still shake slightly as I make my way to Seras's table. She motions me to sit across from her, and I do, then she pushes the cookie she bought towards me. I accept it gratefully and break off a piece and offer it to her.

     "No, thanks," she says, bringing her hands to herself. "You know, I wasn't sure if I'd see you today."

     Popping the piece of cookie into my mouth, I tuck my feet under my chair. "Why?"

     Seras shrugs. "Last night was pretty weird, and since I know the things you've done..." she taps the table top and stares at me.

     I stare back, eating more chunks of my cookie. What she knows about me wouldn't stop me from wanting to be around her. Honestly, I don't know why it matters. As I'm eating, Seras's name is called, her order ready. I stand to get her drinks but she makes me sit back down so she can get them herself. I listen and nibble on the last of my cookie as she brings the coffees back, placing one of them in front of me.

     "I don't know what you like," she says, sitting back down. "So I got you what I usually get."

     "Thank you," I breathe, my heart doing strange things. Her kindness to me is making my face hot and my nerves jumble. I'm so damn nervous.

     Seras sips her coffee, unaware of my feelings, and turns a bit in her seat to cross her legs at the knee. "I did a little more research on you last night after you left," she says, wiping the lip of her cup with a finger. "I could barely sleep last night after all that happened, so I figured, why not?"

     I hum in acknowledgment and take a gulp of my coffee. There's more milk than actual coffee and I can taste a hint of vanilla.

     "Are you going to ask about what I found?"

     "Oh." I lick the remnants of my drink from my top lip and put my hands in my lap, trying to appear interested. "What did you find?"

     Seras gives me a strange look, and her brows scrunch together for a moment. Then she shakes whatever she was thinking away and says, "You really are a myth. Your prints go back decades, all across the country. I called a friend of mine last night and he says you're almost a joke. Of course, I didn't tell him that I happen to know you're not."