Chapter 24 - That Book

Comenzar desde el principio

"So she likes him because he's clever?" But that didn't mean he'd stop talking.

"Sure. Because he's loyal. And he cares. Because there's something endearing in a person listening to what you say and using it to better themselves. Especially men." Kit didn't care much to see his reaction at this time.

Ed listened. Of course he listened! Okay, she'd got him there. She intended for him to project. He looked at Kit, hoping she'd meet his eye yet knowing that she likely wouldn't. He'd noticed how she often avoided direct eye contact with him when she wasn't speaking.

"But she hated him at first-"

"He didn't like her either." She cut him off, without looking up from the book. Kit didn't want to engage in idle chit chat, she wanted information that was promised to her.

"But he didn't hate her. He couldn't."

Kit fought to keep her head down, pretending to not understand or just not pick up on the meaning. But he knew that she had picked up on it though and that was clear from the way she stopped turning the page every 86-90 seconds. Not that he'd been timing her or anything, it was just an observation...

"It's just a book. Lots of people don't like Jane Austen. Hey, I know, let's talk about someone even less people like; oh, I don't know? Maybe the Scarecrow?" She decided this was an appropriate resolve. Kit didn't care for changing his mind on a book, but she did care about getting what she came here for. But that was proving to be difficult.

"I think Pride and Prejudice is the wrong title. Maybe Austen ought to have named it something more fitting like Rue and Ruin." He lamented, glancing up at Kit.

"Rue. That's twice now you've used that word in one conversation. Running out of material again?" He eyebrows raised in mock innocence at her taunting. She scolded him for it but returned the favour.

"Me? Never." He sounded so unfazed by the remark that Kit was almost alarmed. It should have bothered him, or triggered some sort of response. Patience often made Edward feel like he had the higher ground, but he wasn't known for it. He wasn't a patient man, he was demanding, which was never ever a good thing in Kit's few experiences with him. In fact, his whole demeanour was arrogant. Of course, that only served to annoy the Detective.

Kit decided to angle the conversation to... well, the very reason she was there.

"I'm getting bored of this now, Edward. You promised me a location in return for being here. Pay up." She had closed the book and didn't show any sign of opening it again. When he made no effort to answer her and only looked back down at his distraction, Kit stood up from the armchair and glared down at him. She was losing her temper. Frustration was a funny thing when it came from composed people. Whatever small gesture or word had set her off had been unintentional on Edward's part but there was no telling Kit that. "I'm leaving right now if you don't-"

"What year was Pride and Prejudice published again? 18...10?"

"Thirteen."

"Ah yes, thirteen." He spoke calmly, still looking down at his book that Kit was strongly considering hitting him upside the head with.

What was he doing? Repeating things? And for what? Why the obsession on that story? Why the fixation on these words and numbers? What was this? Apart from incredibly annoying. His calm demeanour meant something too.

"Thirteen. You keep saying that... What is that? Why are you repeating yourself?" She asked, rather lamely.

"Thirteen? Oh, It's a number. A baker's dozen. Often considered to be unlucky but I've never been very superstitious." He answered her, still looking down but you could hear the smirk he was wearing through his words. They just dripped with arrogance.