Chapter 6: Nikkah or Nah

Start from the beginning

When they came back, Amira's mom had a smile on her face but Amira didn't look to satisfied herself. Knowing better, I didn't ask what had happened.

After dinner, we cleared the table and helped clean. Finally, we all sat in the living room and ate small pastries. Then Baba cleared his throat.

"Amira, I'm sure you know why we are here today."

She nodded.

"Do you have any questions before your decision is made?" Mama asked.

She shook her head.

Her mother pinched her, discretely, as if telling her she needed to speak.

Yessin looked up at her, smiled, and dropped his gaze one more time.

"Since you seem to be a little shy, I'll ask questions for you" Amira's mother spoke up. "What do you work as, son?"

"I'm a biomedical engineer. I just finished my studies last year and I recently landed myself with a fulltime job." Yessin answers, boastfully.

The adults nod and wait for more questions.

Amira's father started," What are your intentions for this occasion?"

Yessin smiled. "Marriage is half of my deen. I've heard from many sheikhs that when you find someone that interests you, marriage should be priority in order to avoid fitnah."

My jaw dropped. Marriage. Marriage! Of course. Everything clicked. That's why we're here today. That's why we were told to dress nicely and that's what Amira was told in the kitchen during dinner.

My parents smiled and Baba gave Yessin a thumbs up. Then, Amira spoke up.

"How many times a day do you pray? Do you fast?" She asked, gaze still lowered at her feet.

Her mother sighed and patted her arm with approval. They looked up at Yessin. He chuckled.

"I pray 5 times a day, if not more. I do love fasting and I love praying taraweeh at the masjid during Ramadan.

The adults nodded once again, smiling at each other. Then, Amira spoke up.

"I think I've made my decision." She began, "I'd like three days to think this over. I want to pray istikhara, and I want to speak with family before I accept any proposal for marriage. I hope you understand."

I sighed and got up to go to the bathroom. I splashed my face with water to calm down. I couldn't believe that my brother just asked my best friend for her hand in marriage without even telling me. And I couldn't believe that my best friend is actually taking it into consideration.

When I got out of the bathroom, the adults and Yessin wwrw sitting in the living room and Amira was upstairs. I went upstairs and I heard her reading Quran in their guest room. I knocked and went inside. When her eyes met mine, she finished the page that she was on, closed the quran, and sat on the bed next to me.

I didn't know where to start. Unintentionally, I made a humorous remark rather than an uplifting one.

"I guess he was totally infatuated with you that he couldn't even wait a whole day to propose to you"

She looked up at me and smiled.

"I would marry your brother in a heartbeat, Maysara, I'd do anything to be your sister in law, its just.. Amin.." I've liked him for years now, and now that he likes me.. I just don't know what to do."

Just then, it dawned on me. I had completely forgotten about Amin..

"In Surat AlBakarah, Allah states "and when my servants ask you about me, I am indeed close. I listen to the prayer of every praying person when he calls on me. So let them also listen to my call and believe in me so they may walk straight." So I would say, you need to pray istikhara. Allah will hear you and will respond to you."

Amira looked up at me and smiled.

"I promise"

Amira's POV

When the guests left, I helped Mama clean up. She washed dishes and I dried and put them away.

"Why didn't you respond to the proposal today? Yessin is a wonderful boy. He's a Hafiz and he prays! That's all you've ever asked for.." My mother states, handing me a plate.

I stalled the answer a little, patting the dish dry and placing it in the cupboard .

"I need time to make my decision. I can't choose the fate of the rest of my life in a split second like that!" I said.

My mother sighed and handed me the last cup. I dried it off, put it away and went upstairs to my room.

I took out my nicest praying rug and I wore my favourite blue praying dress. I prayed two rakaas and recited the istikhara verse. I stayed up for two hours, repenting and making duaa and thukoor.

Finally, my heavy eyelids drooped until I fell asleep. And what a beautiful dream I had. I dreamt of my wedding day. I walked down the aisle with a flowy white dress on, my arm linked with my fathers.

At the end of the aisle stood Yessin, eyes partially lowered with a bright smile on his face. He wore a crisp black suit and tie with a baby blue tie. My dad passed me to Yessin and we immediately linked arms. I felt so confused..

Just then, I woke up.

Author's note

Salam! What do you think the answer to Amira's istikhara is? Positive or negative? I don't know if I will continue this story.. There's too much that I want to include but I don't have a lot of time to. I will continue if my audience wants me to, though. Thank you for reading this far into my novel! Each and every view means so much to me because I've always wanted to write a book and have people read it. So, from the deep down bottom of my heart, thank you. I hope you have a beautiful day!!

-livelovereadandbooks