Ch. 9: Dream Put to Rest

Start from the beginning

I gave her another hug.

"Tell your family I said hi."

"Will do!"

"And I expect you to tell me all about the after party tomorrow! It's your last day at work, right?"

I nodded, "I just have to pick up my things and that's it. I'll be done early."

"Oh, alright. Goodnight, hun," she then turned to Faris, "Goodnight, flatmate thief."

We both laughed, "Goodnight."

"Congratulations once again!" she called after us.

Yasir's P.O.V.

"You guys have to come!" Ayaara exclaimed to her team members, a crate full of her belongings in her hands.

Sensing my presence, they all stopped talking and looked in my direction. Everyone except for Ayaara dispersed with their boxes, giving me a smile or nod on the way, leaving her and I alone at the reception area.

I walked over to her, and her eyes slowly lifted to meet mine.

She cleared her throat, "Hi."

"Hi."

"I, uh, can't believe the show's over. I don't know how these two months just flew by. I really enjoyed working here. I'll miss it."

I observed her beautiful face until she continued, "I'm sure you won't miss my caramel frappes though."

A smile tugged on my lips, "They were a nice change."

She smiled, "A needed change too. I hope you will still get them once in a while to change up your routine."

I won't.

Because they won't be from you.

We both looked down, an overwhelming silence blanketing us.

She rested the crate against her side, holding it with one hand, while using the other to brush some hair behind her ear. A shining glimmer on her hand immediately caught my attention. A diamond ring on her ring finger.

She was engaged.

Her eyes followed my gaze to her ring.

My mouth went dry.

She parted her lips, trying to form some words.

My hands balled into fists, not in anger directed towards her, but rather the conditions that kept her from being mine.

She finally spoke in a soft timid tone, a restricted small smile on her lips, "I'm getting married in December."

No woman had ever affected me as much as you. Without touching me, you touched me. You had full control over my heart. And yet-

Her phone buzzed with a text message right then. She glanced down at it as it sat on the top of the crate.

"Faris is here to pick me up."

I gave her a nod.

She studied my face, hers growing cloudier, matching mine.

"It was nice working with you, Yasir," she stuck out her small hand for me to shake after a while.

I took it, savoring these last few moments with her, "You too, Ayaara."

She held the crate with both hands, "I," she swallowed, "will send you an invitation card... You will come, won't you?"

I stared at her.

Ayaara's P.O.V.

"No."

I blinked, taking a shaky breath.