Ch. 9: Dream Put to Rest

Start from the beginning

I'd left it with him the night he gave it to me because it was a little too big.

"It's fits perfectly now. Thank you," I admired the ring, "It's so pretty."

"Because you're the one wearing it," he gave me a cheeky grin.

I pinched his cheek.

"Well, well, well. Isn't it Ms. Saeed being dropped off by Mr. Alam after a wild night out? Do you know what time it is, young missy? Almost 1:30. Some of us have work in the morning, ya know?" Sheryl opened the door with folded arms and an amused expression.

"You clearly do, Sherry," Faris signaled at the paused movie on her laptop, chocolate bar wrappers, and a bowl of popcorn.

"Well, excuse me! Not everyone has after parties to go to after attending fashion shows. I must make do with what I have in order to have fun, which is watching the same movie I've already seen four times and living vicariously through the protagonist!"

"To All the Boys?" I asked.

"Duh. The first one though. I can't deal with the second one. They did John Ambrose dirty."

I laughed.

Faris began, "I'll leave you to it then. My fiancée and I jus-"

"Your what?" her eyes grew large.

I showed her my ring with a grin.

"No way! You two are engaged?!"

I noticed her smile falter before it grew again, "Congratulations!"

She engulfed us in a group hug.

"Thank you!" Faris and I said simultaneously.

"So, that's why your father and brother are in town," Sheryl stated when she pulled away.

"The wedding is in December," Faris said.

"What?!" her expression went from surprise to excitement.

"It'll be in New York," I added.

"OMG!" she squealed, "This is so exciting! Have you two thought of where to get a flat? Here in North London, Manchester, or-" reading our faces, she stopped, "No. Ayaara."

I gave her a guilty smile before enveloping her in a hug.

"Really?!" she whined, "Are you serious?"

"Now you have a greater excuse to visit New York," Faris tried to comfort her.

"Oh, shut it! It's coz of you that my flatmate is leaving me. It's one thing to be moving out, but you lot are shifting to the States! A whole other country!" Sherry pouted, my arms still around her.

"You can't keep my missus with you forever!"

"I'll have you know I've been her flatmate longer than you two have been dating!"

"I've known her since she was born!" Faris retaliated.

"I-"

"Stop fighting you two," I chuckled before holding her tighter, "Aww, I'm sorry, Sherry... Faris's right though. You will visit us, and we'll visit you."

She playfully glared at Faris, making me laugh.

I continued, "It's getting late. I'll see you tomorrow after work, Sherry. After my dad and brother go back to New York, I'll be back at our apartment. We'll spend loads of time together before December."

"It's already August!"

I frowned.

"Fine. We're going to make the most of these next four months."