26 || Sweet And Sour

Start from the beginning

"Fuck you."

Two simple words that are spat with such venom, it takes me by surprise. Two simple words that he'd said to me countless times. Yet it's those two simple words that earn me an ounce of what I'm looking for from him.

A reaction.

He stiffens and I watch the way the muscles in his broad sounders strain beneath the material of his T-shirt. Until slowly, he turns around to face me where I have to try twice as hard to stand by my words.

Perhaps the confidence had come from the fact that his back was turned to me, because right now, as his stormy eyes stare down at me with a hint of disbelief, I want to cower away.

I hadn't meant it nor did I know where it came from, but I couldn't take it back.

I didn't want to take it back.

"Say it again." He challenges, his tone light, amused even. But I know better.

There was a very thin line between amused Nico and hostile Nico. And as much as I'd like to say that I could handle his dark hostile side, I couldn't.

He was too unpredictable when he fed off of my fear and hesitation.

"And this time," He continues, his voice light, harmless even, but that changes the moment he takes a step closer to me. "Look me in the fucking eye."

I stare up at him, my jaw tight and eyes narrowed in disdain. I hated how easy it was for him establish his power over me.

"Go on." He taunts. Another step closer. "I dare you." He spits, his voice hardening and his eyes sparkling with provocation.

He loved these twisted little games he played with me. He'd taunt, corner and then strike. It made me feel like prey, like I was nothing but a pathetic little deer.

I do the opposite of what I'd normally do, though. I don't cower away, I don't let him see the fear and hesitation on my face and I certainly don't speak.

We stay like that, locked in an intense stand off. Waiting for the other to back down or give in, but I wouldn't fold, not when I was so angry at him.

His eyes narrow an inch and I cross my arms before realizing I can't with my bloody palm, so instead, I straighten out while his eyes flicker to my hand in contemplation. Until he finally shakes his head seeming to dismiss whatever he was going to do next.

"Sit the fuck down." He commands firmly, repeating his original statement while sending me a withering look.

Ignoring him, I focus on fighting back a smile as my chest swells with pride.

I won.

I held my ground with a powerful man and succeeded. It was something unheard of, especially in my lifetime. You didn't stand up to respectable men like Father Kade or even Michael and walk away unscathed.

Instead of submitting to his demand, I decide to ride out this new wave of confidence by staring into his eyes and raising a brow. "Make me."

The room erupts in silence. The sounds of our breathing the only thing filling the rather large kitchen, until he narrows his eyes and runs a hand over his jaw. "You really gonna fight me on this?" He muses, raising a brow.