28

Skyler

It is now Friday a week later and we are on the plane. We drove straight from school to the airport. "This will be our first city trip together". I say with a smile to a nervous Samantha. "I told you I wanted to do that with you. Only the reason is different now, but I'm so happy to do this with you." I give her a kiss. "I love you". I say as I take my lips slightly away from hers. "I love you too". And then she kisses me again. It falls silent and Samantha takes my hand in hers and starts playing with my fingers. "Do you think I'll get to see him this weekend?". She asks very quietly. I turn slightly in my chair so I can get a good look at her. "I don't know sweetie. I'm going to do my very best to make it happen, but unfortunately I can't promise you anything". I wipe a tear from her face. "It'll be fine sweetie. If not this weekend, it'll be another time, but you'll get to see him anyway." She gives me a kiss and then I hug her as tight as I can. Not a word is said further.

After we landed, we went straight to our hotel. Where it was difficult for me to leave Samantha alone and now I am standing in front of my father's house. When I get out of the car, Jace immediately runs to me. "Skyler you're here. Where's Sammy?". He screams in my ear after I lifted him up. "I told you I would come." I say as I kiss his forehead and then put him back on his feet. I grab his hand to walk in together. "Where's Sammy?". How I had hoped he wouldn't ask again now. I glance at Jace and then at the doorway, where Samantha's mother is standing. "Shee is tired and is in bed for a while". We have arrived at the front door and Samantha's mother and I shake hands. "Hi Chantal. How are things here?". She gives me a smile. "All right now. Jace has finally stopped bouncing. He couldn't wait to see you and Sammy." I give her a nervous smile. I'm not sure what she means by that comment. I actually have no idea whether she knows that we mean her daughter by Sammy. "I couldn't wait either. I'm happy to be here again. Isn't my father here?". Together we walk to the living room, where we take a seat at the dining table. "Your father has an emergency meeting, so he must be back late." I nod in understanding. "Look, I made this one for you and Sammy". Jace sits on my lap and hands me a piece of finger paint. "You made that beautiful." "These are the colors of the fireworks". He says very proudly and I give him a pat on the head. "Where's Sammy anyway?". Samantha's mother then asks. "Uhm she stayed in the hotel". I say nervously and don't dare to look at her.
It falls silent and I mainly focus on Jace. "You care very much about my daughter don't you?". I am shocked when I hear that and look at Samantha's mother with wide eyes. She gives me a small smile. "Jace will you go play in your room. Chantal and Skyler need to talk to each other." Jace nods and then walks out of the room. I'm getting pretty nervous now. "You and Kristen". "Samantha". "Sorry. You and Samantha are you together?". I just look at her. I can't say a word. "I can see how much you care about Sammy and I'm not stupid. I know it's about my daughter. Do you know her history?" I nod and can hear the lump in her voice. "Okay. Then you must think I have something against it, if you would. I can tell you that it is not the case. I can only be happy if it is, because I can see how much you care about her. You just show that. That Krist.... Samantha likes women isn't the reason I haven't seen her. She probably thinks so and you probably do too." I nod. "Then why in God's name did you abandon her like that. When she needed her mother the most. And how can you keep her child away from her all those years." The intention was to remain calm, but I suddenly feel it boiling from the inside. Samantha's mother is in tears. "What I have done is so wrong. I could not believe what I was hearing then. All of that could not be true. I should have realized that much earlier. I should have seen it anyway. It couldn't be true. I was stupid enough to believe her father. Surely it couldn't be true that the man I loved did such horrible things to his daughter, to my daughter." Her tears are flowing and mine too of anger. "But you couldn't believe your daughter. A sixteen-year-old girl who went through hell for years. Who kept silent for years and let everything happen to protect you. Who was almost beaten to death by that oh so sweet man. You couldn't believe her, but you believed him." I'm about to run away. That's how angry I am, but I have to do this for Samantha. "I don't know what got into me. Recently I know that she was telling the truth." I look at her with wide eyes. "Recently? So you always thought she was lying. Even after her father was found guilty." She nods. "I've told myself all these years that she had to lie. I can't forgive myself for never realizing it. For not being able to protect her." "But can you forgive yourself for keeping her child away from her?" She shakes her head. "Because that's why I'm here. I promised I'll do everything I can to get her to see Jace again. I wish I could say she could hug him again, but that's just the question.  Because of everything that happened to her, no one is allowed to touch her. I'm lucky that I can and I hope with everything I have in me that Jace can too." "No one?". I shake my head. "Even her childhood friends, Lara and Casper, can't do it. But like I said I'm here for Jace. Does he know who his mother is?". I see her nod and I really didn't see it coming. "What?". "Jace doesn't know it's Sammy. He knows his mother is Kristen, my daughter. He only knows her from old photos. I told him that when it's time, he'll meet her. But it's hard to figure out to a four-year-old. I know I should never have kept him away from her, but I don't know how to do it." This conversation is going so differently than I imagined. "So are you saying that Samantha can see him?". She nods. "Yes, of course. I would also very much like to talk to her again. Explain it to her. Although there is little to explain. I have to apologize. But of course she can see Jace". I get a big smile on my face. "Thank you. I think it's just better that Jace doesn't know she's his mother yet. That they better get used to each other first." She nods. "That seems like a good idea to me. If it goes well, then I can tell him calmly. Do you think Kri... sorry. Samantha will want to talk to me?". I shrug. "Sorry I really don't know. Maybe you should write a letter first, but I can ask her." She gives me a small smile. "You really love her don't you?" I nod. "She is my everything". I'm startled when she stands up and hugs me. "Be good to her and please take Jace with you to her."