13

Samantha

The alarm goes off and I try to get up, but I'm stopped. "Sammy stay down. I set the alarm half an hour later". I get a smile on my face. Normally I'm the one who won't get up and have to beg for a few extra minutes. So you won't hear me complaining. 'm the little spoon and Skyler the big one with her arm around me. I turn a little so I can push her onto her back. I lay half over her and lay my head on her chest. Her heartbeat is a fine sound. As soon as I lay like that, Skyler immediately grabs me tight. When after half an hour the alarm goes off again I hear Skyler sigh and still makes no move to get up. "Sky I hate to say it, but we really have to get up." Instead of getting up, she now pulls me all the way on top of her and presses me tightly against her. "I know, but I don't want to". That's not how I know her at all.
We lay there for a few more minutes and then I finally managed to get Skyler to get up. I got ready for the day faster, so I'm first in the kitchen. I've already prepared breakfast for both of us. I'm grabbed from behind as I'm filling the coffee mugs. "I don't feel like it today". Skyler says and she rests her head against my shoulder. "What's the matter with you? Are you sick or something?". I turn around in her arms and put my hand on her forehead for a moment. It doesn't feel warm. "I just don't feel like it". She then says and pulls me even closer to her. She blows her warm breath against my neck. It does everything inside, but I don't want to think about that right now. As difficult as that is. "Sky what's up?". I ask as I gently stroke her back. "Nothing special. It's just not my day." We stay like this for a while and then I hand her her coffee. "Drink your coffee and then we really should go." I don't know how, but we got to school on time.

I've seen Skyler walk by a few times at school and she doesn't look really happy. I'm in her class now and she's been staring at her computer screen for minutes. She should have started the lesson already. "What's the matter with Skyler?". Lara asks me softly. I shrug. "I don't know. She was like that this morning. Normally I'm the one who doesn't want to get up, but now she stopped me. After that she was also more clingy than usual." Lara looks at me with a smile and then I realize what I've said. "Lara it's not what you think". Her smile gets bigger. "Oh, if it's not what I think, does it mean you've done something other than sleep?" I am so glad that there is no one in front of us and therefore no one can hear our conversation. "No Lara. We've been sleeping together for two weeks because then I can sleep." I say a little irritated. "It was just a joke. I thought something like that. You look rested lately. And if you did do other things with her, I wouldn't mind either." I shook my head at that comment. "Miss Reese shouldn't we start class already?". Ivan yells across the class, which I'm happy about. By now everyone has realized that Skyler doesn't feel like it. Especially because everyone is waiting for her. Since today we are going to review our work together. "Um yes sorry". Skyler then stands up and looks at me quickly. "As you may have noticed, I'm not really in the mood today. So we're going to do things differently. Lara would you like to come here? Then we switch places. You discuss the work. I have the answers here and I'll see how you've made your work." I look at Lara who nods with a smile and stands up.

Skyler sits down next to me. "How nice, a new student. Welcome to the classroom. Don't mind the teacher. That's quite a strange person." For the first time today, I see a smile on Skyler's face when I say that. "Thank you. I just hope I don't fall asleep during class." When Skyler says that, the whole class laughs. "Miss Hofman and Miss Reese last warning. Next time, the day will be an hour longer for you." Lara says. "Okay sorry. Now we're getting serious. I want us to go through the work as usual. Lara go ahead". After Skyler has said this, the class is quiet again. "Everything fine?". I whisper to Skyler after a few minutes, when I'm sure no one is paying attention to her sitting here. "Yes, now it does". I look at her questioningly. "I just wanted to sit next to you." She looks around the class for a moment and then takes my hand. "Miss Reese, what do you have for answer to question eight?". I hear Lara say it and Skyler quickly withdraws her hand. I give Lara an angry look. "Um...". Skyler looks into Lara's notebook. "I can't read very well what it says". Skyler says. "Oh sorry. I didn't know the handwriting was so invisible." Lara says looking at me and I nod that I understand her. "I think the result is forty-eight. Sorry I really can't make anything of the rest." Skyler says, looking hard at the notebook. "The result is correct. Joey can you name the calculation?". I'm glad the focus is elsewhere. "What's bothering you today?". I whisper again to Skyler who shakes her head and I sees tears in her eyes. I grab her hand under the table and rub it with my thumb. Skyler gives me a small smile.

"Okay thank you Lara. I have to say I really liked this. We can do this more often this way. So a request to everyone to work neatly. If I have to check someone's work next time , I want to be able to read what it says. If not, you can stay longer to make it again. And just to be clear. This is not to attack Lara, because I know that hers is still neat compared to most of you. And now you can do something for yourself for these last ten minutes. You have no homework for tomorrow." Skyler says as she walks back to her own seat and Lara sits down next to me again. "Sorry I didn't notice." Lara says with a guilty look. "It doesn't matter. It's not your fault." I say looking at Skyler who is staring at her screen again. "Do you already know what's wrong with her?" I shake my head. "I have no idea, but there is something. I just saw the tears in her eyes". Lara nods. "I saw it indeed. After this lesson she is ready for today, isn't she?". I nod. "Then stay with her after class. I'll make sure no one comes in and after this we have Mr Eskes who doesn't mind if we are a bit later". I give Lara a smile. "Thank you".

The bell just rang. Lara is the last to leave the room and close the door behind her. Skyler stands with her back to me. "Sky what's wrong with you?". Skyler is startled when I say that. I don't think she noticed I was still in the room. "Don't you have to go to class?". I nod. "So, but you are more important now." She shakes her head. "Yes you are". I walk over to her and give her a hug. "Sammy not here at school". She pushes me away, but there is no real conviction in it. "Lara is on the other side of the door, so no one comes in." When I say that, Skyler grabs me tight. "Are you going to tell me what it is, because I don't know you like that." Skyler sighs. "Sorry. I miss my mom. There are things I want to discuss with her and get her advice on, but that's impossibleI gently grab her face and wipe her tears with my thumbs. "You shouldn't say sorry for that. I understand very well that you miss her. Can I give you advice?". Skyler shakes her head with a smile. "No, but you can give me a hug." I immediately press her against me again . "Thank you, I really needed this." I silently stroke her back with one hand and the other gently runs through her hair. "Sam, we really have to go to class now." I hear Lara say, after she opens the door a little bit. "I'm coming". I let go of Skyler and look at her. "I still have an hour to go. Then we go home. Cuddle on the couch with a blanket and a tub of ice cream. Is that a good idea?". Skyler nods. "That sounds like a great idea. I'll write you and Lara a note. Otherwise you'd see you have to stay longer because you're late."