"What's a kanima?" Parrish asked.

"It's not that important," Ayla assured him.

"Yeah, we'll come back to that. Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the deadpool," Scott told the man, walking over to where Parrish had sat down on the couch.

"But I don't even know what I am," Parrish reminded.

"I'm pretty sure they don't care," Derek told him.

"Actually, I think they figured it would make you an easier target. They were obviously wrong, however," Ayla added.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about?" Parrish wondered.

"We're starting to lose count," Lydia told him.

"But is it still just professionals?" Scott asked.

"I don't think Haigh has ever tried anything like this. I think he was taking a chance," Parrish told him.

"That means anyone with the deadpool could take a chance," Derek realized.

"But if Haigh had it, then who else does? How easy is it to get this thing now?" Parrish asked.

"I'd say too easy," Ayla muttered.

|

The banshee began to catch all of them up on what she had learned about the deadpool. From what Lydia could tell, her grandmother had also been a banshee. Not only that, but she had known the only other banshee that the pack had discovered. Meredith, an Eichen House patient who had killed herself recently after Lydia and Stiles went to her for help.

"How did your grandmother know her?" Derek wondered.

"She didn't. She found her, because of another woman named Maddy. The woman she loved," Lydia told them. She sighed, looking down at the photo she had in her hands. She stood up and walked over to the two other teenagers, holding the photo out to the alpha. Ayla leaned closer to Scott to look at it. It was of who she assumed was Lydia's grandmother and a dark haired woman. "I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere. She used to be part of a yacht racing team. There were plaques and trophies in the lake house from all the regattas she'd won," she went on.

"How did she die?" Parrish wondered.

"How's not the story. It's what happened right before. My grandmother, Lorraine, used to work in San Francisco for IBM. She was there on a weekend, catching up on work. She started hearing this sound... like rain. But when she looked out the windows, all she saw was blue sky," Lydia told him.

"But she kept hearing the rain?" Scott asked.

"And it just kept getting louder. Rain and thunder cracking like gunshots in her head. So loud, she finally just screamed," Lydia explained.

"Like a banshee," Derek said.

"She called Maddy who was planning on taking one of the boats out on the lake. But Maddy said that the sun was shining there too. So Lorraine didn't say anything," Lydia told them.

"There was an accident?" Parrish guessed.

Lydia nodded. "It took them four days to find Maddy's body. And then it took decades to figure out how Lorraine knew. She started with parapsychologists, like the PhD in their name made it more scientific. They built the study in the lake house according to every pseudoscientific theory they could find. None of it worked. So then she started going to more extreme occult. Things like mediums and psychics. All of them were failures.