Chapter Twenty Five

I woke up with a terrified gasp and as I felt my stomach twist with nausea I pushed away the covers from my body and ran to the bathroom

I kneeled next to the toilet and started heaving. I kept gagging but nothing was coming out since I hadn't eaten anything solid in days. My eyes burned with tears and they started trailing down my face as I clutch my stomach.

When I finally stopped gagging I slowly pushed myself up to my feet and moved towards the sink to wash up. After brushing my teeth and splashing my face with cold water I went back inside my room and sat down on my bed.

I grabbed my phone and the light from it flashed in my dark room and indicated the time.

4:17 am

My eyes drift towards the notification where there was an unread text message from Leo.

hey, just wanted to let you know that we've arrested almost all of the clients who weren't present in the auction and all of the girls are back in their home now. thank you hyacinth, this wouldn't have been possible without you.

take care of yourself, yeah?

I sighed in relief and threw the phone away from me and sinked back down on my bed.

These past few days have been absolute torture. My days are filled with guilt and sorrow and my nights with nightmares and cries of terror.

I couldn't get the image of Aster holding his dying sister in his arms out of my head. I couldn't stop hearing his scream of anguish. I couldn't stop thinking about the absolute pain that was on his face as he cried and held her close to him.

I couldn't help but think that this was all my fault. If I hadn't entered the room then she still would have been alive. She would have been back home with Aster like all the other girls. She would have been safe. But now, Stella is dead and it was all my fault.

It should have been me.

That's all I could think about. That I should have been the one to be shot. After all, the bullet was meant for me. I didn't deserve to be saved like that.

I ruined Aster's life. All this time he was looking for his sister. All this time, his only goal was to have her back. To find her, to save her. And when he finally found her, she was gone again.

I sat back up and moved towards my closet. I grabbed a hoodie and slid it over my body before grabbing my jacket and moving to wear my boots and then I left the house.

As I start walking I think of the funeral.

I hadn't talked to Aster a single time. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye after what happened and he hadn't tried to come and find me again so I was sure that he also knew that it was fault.

I couldn't even be sad that he was blaming me because he was right to do so.

When I went to the funeral I had caught a glimpse of him. He was wearing a black suit and his eyes were red, tired and empty. When he gave his eulogy his voice had broken in the middle and then he had left. I didn't see him after that.