Chapter 12 - Simple Distortion

I needed a friend right now, I thought as I pushed my way through the bright colours and flashing cameras. Nobody paid much attention to me, I was glad.

I needed to go home. I needed my mums comforting hugs, her warm cups of hot chocolate, and her, “It will be alright, don’t worry.”  I needed comforting, and explanations. But right now, I needed to get away from the Demon, and away from the reminder of ‘My Chain’.

Why had he triggered that? Why did he look so terrified when the voice in my head had recited a line from Lloyds chant?

My dark blue blood was still oozing from my chest, but it was slowing. Nobody had noticed it, I don’t think…

I didn’t know where I was going, but as the streams of people turned into long grass and flowers, I realize I must try to get home again before I go insane.

I stand in the vast field, the sky still rumbling slightly above me. I shuddered, remembering the fight with the Demon.

I closed my eyes, spread out my hands and try to focus.

I pictured my mothers face, my white kitchen and my little house. I tried to picture the bright blue lake with the purple, white-topped mountains, and the sailing boats that bobbed up and down in the light of the bright sun. I sighed and opened my eyes.

I felt nothing. It was like someone had cut my ties to my home.

What if I could never get back?

The world began to blur.

What if I would never get another comforting hug from my mother?

A tear dripped onto my chest, followed by another.

No more safety? Would I have to live in a world that is shared with humans and Demons?

Would anyone even miss me?

The Demons face flashed up in my mind. His dark hair, and mysterious eyes, and his animal-like features, his ears and tail.

Suddenly, I was spun round.

A dark grey chain stretched away from my chest. It wasn’t full there, I could see through it, but it was heavy and lay, winding through the long grass towards Pineto.

The chain tightened and shot into the air, and I was rushed forwards, back towards the city I had just ran from.

The Demon’s face was in front of me again. He was running, but then slammed his feet into the ground, barely avoiding slamming straight into me.

“What the…?” He started. “Why the hell are you here? How did you manage to catch up with me? Aren’t Demons faster than Angels?” He shut up sharply.

“I don’t know what happened! I didn’t do anything! I was back there, and now I’m here!”

“You’re the witch,” He snapped, “You tell me.

“I-I told you! I don’t know!” His eyes were blazing, full of fire.

“Find out!” He shouted, reaching forwards and grabbing my throat. “Find out right now. Go on, rack your puny little brain for the answer.” He squeezed my neck, restricting my oxygen. I grabbed his tight hand with both of mine, scrabbling for a hold to pull it off.

His body began shivered with rage, his hand on my throat vibrated, then clenched tighter. He tried to say something, yet instead he let out an inhuman growl. His hand slipped from my neck to his knee, propping up his shaking body. I tentatively touched my neck.

He carried on shaking.

Suddenly his back arched, his backbone sticking out like spines, breaking through his leather jacket. I muffled a scream and backed away, putting a tree between him and me. My heart was jumping in my chest.