Chapter 9 - Simple Distortion

Knock knock.

“Room service.”

Oh, I felt awful. My head was pulsing and I felt ill. My heart was throbbing. Opening my eyes and sitting up, I felt dizzy and disorientated.

Once the world stopped spinning I looked around.

The room was light, yet the curtains were closed.

The double bed was comfortable with three pillows all stacked up in the middle. The yellow walls were light and warm. The golden brown furniture was plain.

I was in a hotel room.

Knock knock.

 “Hello? Miss… Kiera? Your breakfast platter is here…” Knock knock.

I slipped my feet off the cream sheets and pushed my body onto the carpet. I padded to the door, slightly off balance.

Pulling open the door, a little brown face in a blue uniform peered up at me. She had a trolley with a few plates of steaming food on the top shelf.

“Miss, here is your breakfast,” The woman reached for a large platter and carefully hands it to me.

Still very confused, I took the plate of food, thanked the woman, and shut the door.

Setting the food on the bedside table, I sat to think.

I remembered last night.

Aveline’s party.

Miss Clark’s strange reaction to my question.

Lloyd.

The ritual.

I shivered involuntarily, recalling the flashback and my boiling heart.

I had obviously feinted after that, so how did I get here? Hang on… Where was here?

I got up and walked to the window. Pulling back the curtains I looked out. The morning was bright, the sky, cloudless. The city below me was already awake. Cars were already filling the road below the building and the pavement was full of bustling tourists. I looked up, away from the city.

The familiar hill was not far away, the olive orchard still covering it almost completely. I could see the old part of Pineto climbing up the middle of it.

I needed to get home. Mum would be so mad with me already. And worried…

I let the curtain fall back into place and I turned back to the light room.

Mmm… I could smell the plate of food; it was wafting towards me and making my tummy rumble.

Wait, who had ordered me the food? I knew nobody in the human world except… Except…

Lloyd.

But he only just met me…

I needed to find him again.