Chapter 8 - Simple Distortion

The wind froze in place, and my hair dropped immediately back to the side of my face. What was going on? Maybe an Angel was here? My lips curled into a snarl as anger pulsed through my veins at the thought; I rejected it. No, they wouldn’t dare.

The muscles in my face relaxed slightly. No, if they were here they knew of my presence and I would’ve seen one by now. Stupid creatures.

The sky was still black; the cold and musky air was still mixing all around me. Urh, I hated this stupid place. Maybe I’ll just go home…

No, I have to find that stupid old man anyway.

My feet eventually carried me forwards to the misty buildings.

I carefully stepped into the first orangy light of a street lamp. I swept my ears back and covered it with my black hair. We had to hide from humans, hide our animalness from them because ‘it would damage their innocence’, or something. The touristy buildings towered above me. There was nothing like this in my world. A few lights were on in the many windows above me, but the place was… deserted.

I sighed and began walking down the pavement.

 A slow burning heat began to rise from inside my chest. It felt like… strong heartburn. It was getting stronger, more heat, more stinging.

My breath turned into a panting as my throat closed up. What the hell was going on?

I sat down, leaning against one of the stone buildings. I tried to cough, to clear my throat. But instead I found myself talking in a detached voice.

 “My soul reaches for you,

Forever calling,

Forever searching…”

The words continued to stream from my lips, and I couldn't manage to close them. I clasped a hand around my mouth tightly, fear quickly flooding though my veins. The words continued, loud and clear.

“Yet we are bound together by Repulsive steel

And entwined hearts...”

The burning in my chest got hotter, forcing me to gasp for air.

The hand fell from my lips and grasped tightly around myself.

Something was coming.

 I forced my eyes shut and squeezed my lips together as tight as I could.  My eyes were fuzzy, distorted.

My head… Ohh…

A promise in blood,

That is written yourself.”

With the final, descending silence, I blacked out.