Chapter 27: Fireworks

Dinner started out as usual, and a little early. Arnav was surprised to see Anjali and Shyam with the kids. They usually didn't stay for dinner on Sundays, since they had school the next day, so Anjali preferred to get the kids into bed early. So he was a little puzzled.

"Di, how come you're here for Sunday dinner?"

"Oh, it's a special dinner, Chote", Anjali smiled at him mischievously.

Arnav was even more puzzled. The entire family was walking around like they were harboring a delightful secret. Giving each other glances, smirking at him, giggling in corners.... Ok, maybe not giggling in corners, but it sure felt like it. He hadn't felt this atmosphere in the house for a long time. Everyone was giddy with excitement. And that incident at tea time had made him suspicious that something was definitely going on.

While they were having tea, Hrishi and Aarya had come running in and as usual, Aarya had climbed into his lap for a cuddle. He kissed her and asked, "And why is my little princess so giggly today?"

"It's a secret, Mamu. We can't tell you, Mamma said"

"Oooh. Ok. And who else knows this secret?"

"Bhai, stop grilling the child", Akash told him, as Khushi leaned over him and picked Aarya from his lap. Unfortunately, that had successfully diverted him from the topic, as her long, let-down hair brushed his arm and he caught a whiff of her fragrant shampoo. He'd been flustered and had to look away then, or he'd end up grabbing her and burying his face in her hair.

But now, it looked like the entire family was being giggly.

As everyone served themselves and started eating, the first salvo came from Manorama Chachi, "Anjali, what did you think of Rani's advice to Bobo?"

Arnav knew who Rani was, Hrishi's favorite character from the Diya Mohan books. But he'd not heard of Bobo before.

"I'm not sure, Chachi. I don't know if I could forgive someone who had hurt me"

"But the idea is good, right? Forgiving others is more about you than about the other person anyway", Ratna piped in.

"Well, I agree with the concept. Though it might be difficult to actually put into practice", Payal mused.

"Yes, that is probably why Bobo was having such a hard time", Dadi added.

"Wait, what are you guys talking about?", Arnav asked, curious now.

"The latest Diya Mohan book, Chote", Manohar Chacha said, "I do like how Rani gave practical advice on how to go about forgiving someone"

"Hold on! The latest book? But its coming out tomorrow, right?"

"Yes, of course!", Anjali said.

"Then how do you know about it today? Did they release a teaser?"

"Oh, I thought you might have read it already, Chote. Aren't you the one who always gets it first?", Manorama Chachi asked him mischievously.

"Yes, but its not in the market yet. So how did you guys read it?"

"Oh, I was told that you had your Aman on standby to buy the first copy when they come out?", Khushi piped up.

"What? No... I mean... yes... he does buy it for me. But its not like he's on standby or something. I just have a deal with the bookshop that they keep a copy aside for me when they come out. Its not that big a deal."

"Really? Then how come even before it comes home, you've already read it and then walk around giving out spoilers to everyone else?", Anjali asked.