Realizations, Forgiveness, and Moving Forward (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"I see..." Lily felt a surge of sadness overwhelm her heart, but she tried her best not to show it. Looked like Her Holiness' efforts to defeat the Bloody Witch went in vain...

"Ah, don't take it to heart, Miss Knight!" it was Mariya, as positive as ever, "We're thankful for what Her Holiness did!"

"Yes." Grandma Margie backed her up, "You see Her Holiness avenged the families and loved ones we lost to that mad she-devil. So, deep in our hearts, we are grateful to the Saint."

Lily had doubts whether if those words that they were saying were indeed true, or just lip-service to keep her spirits up. Whatever it was, she took a deep bow and said, "As the representative of Her Holiness, I'd like to offer my sincere apologies for what happened to you and to those other people that were victims of the Bloody Witch."

"I told you it's fine, m-milady!" Grandma Margie was panicking, "Please raise your head, or at least, do it in a private place. What would the others say if they saw you bowing your head to an insignificant old woman like me?"

Not wishing to cause any further inconvenience to them, Lily did what Grandma Margie wished—though she thought these folks deserved more than just an apology...

"Ah, you are something!" the old lady laughed nervously, "Anyway, don't worry too much about what has been done already in the past, milady. We common folk can understand that our beloved Saint has her limitations, thus she can't always be coming to rescue us."

Lily was left unable to say anything. For such a tragedy, these people with her gave a lot of leeway to Maddie...

"We are strong and resilient enough to make do until help—if any, comes. That's why, we're more than thankful to Her Holiness that she had done what she did, even though we lost our loved ones."

"Yes!" Mariya seconded, "If you ever come back to Her Holiness, please tell her, thanks a lot! Anton, Grandma, and I are still alive because of her! Right, Anton?"

The big fellow smiled and nodded in agreement.

A gentle, warm feeling slowly welled up within Lily's chest as she watched this family of three talked and laughed together. Even though Maddie could've saved more people—and possibly their loved ones as well, had she hastened her arrival, they never blamed her.

"..."

And yet, if it came to herself, who was supposed to be Maddie's greatest support and friend...

"..."

Come to think of it, when was the last time she told Maddie that she did an outstanding job in dealing with those pesky human kings? Those royal brats were a pain to deal with, and Maddie did her best to keep up with the pressure, but...

Didn't she just force her friend to do her duty, even though it's clear that Maddie's already tired and suffering?

Isn't it she only pushed her friend to the limit because she is afraid of what others might say to them?

Lily felt much even worse when she realized those things.

"Err...Miss Knight?"

"!!!"

Mariya's voice brought Lily back to her senses.

"Are you alright?" it was Grandma Margie, "You're getting pale once again! Here, drink this water if you don't feel good."

"Ah, thank you, Grandma."

"Whatever bothers your heart and mind, don't think of it too much milady." The old lady suggested, "Those won't easily go away, but you're already here, so try to forget those for a while."

Lily sheepishly nodded as she sipped on the water Grandma gave her. Deep inside, however, she was regretting the words she said to her friend when they fought. Maddie has had her share of difficulties, and in fact, they both caused trouble to each other, so she had no right to demand anything from her friend.

After all, the Human Saint sacrificed a lot of things humanly possible to improve the lives of the people she is entrusted with. And her job as her maid is to support Her Holiness, not to argue and then abandon her.

"What have I done?" Lily carelessly muttered.

"Hm? What is it you've done, Miss Knight?" Mariya curiously asked.

"Oh, it's nothing!" Lily answered her, but with a resolute heart and mind, she decided. She knew she couldn't turn back the words she had already uttered, but at least, she could opt to do right this time, "Okay, Grandma, I've decided. Aside from fishing and wood trade, what else is available as work in this place?"

"Oh? Don't tell me..."

"Yep!" Lily's face was suddenly full of energy, "I'll be settling here for now. So please, make use of me as you see fit!"