CHAPTER 34

Vino ran his thumb over my knuckles, and I bit on my lower lip as tried to suppress a smile. It was crazy how I was feeling a lot of emotions. I was happy, but at the same time, my eyes burned as I blinked back tears. I sniffled as I looked up at him.

He pressed lips together and drew a long breath.

"You deserve to know all the facts—every single one of them," he started.

I furrowed my eyebrows. I thought we were done with his story because he had told me everything already.

"No one knew the reason why we broke up, and I was embarrassed about how terrified I was of getting my heart broken."

"You were embarrassed because you're Vino Williams."

He nodded.

"Everyone assumed I have my act together all the time. Although, of course, they knew I can get so mad during a game... but you know what I mean. Everyone knew how I feel about you, but they didn't know how scared I was of rejection."

He had been one of the most popular guys in Eastview, and he had a reputation, too. He was one of the smartest in our class, active in extra-curricular activities, and captain of the basketball team. Only a few knew about his flaws. Almost everyone thought he was perfect.

"According to Lily, you're Supervino."

"And you're my kryptonite."

My cheeks burned on that instant, and I tried to suppress a smile but failed.

Vino took another sharp, deep breath and said, "I was judging myself, and I was afraid people would judge me too. So, I never told anyone the truth about what happened except to my therapist."

"Wait, what?"

"I had a panic attack while listening to your conversation with the girls."

"How come—"

"No one knew about that. It was embarrassing, so I kept it a secret. At that time, I thought I was going to die because I couldn't breathe."

My heart sank to my feet as I listened to Vino. I would never imagine he had gone through a panic attack, but now I was starting to understand him more.

"What did you do about it?" I asked.

"I kept it for so long, thinking it's the best thing to do. But obviously, it was a big mistake. We all know how men are supposed to be strong and all that, but I knew I needed professional help, so I sought for one."

I nodded, comprehending how deep his thoughts were. I was proud of him for choosing to seek help because there is strength in admitting you need help.

"I had wanted to try to work things out with you before, but we never really had a chance. But now, there's no reason for me not to," he stated, letting go of my hands and pulling me in for a hug.

He enveloped me in a tight hug, and I could feel his chest rise up as he breathed in. I stood motionless in the warmth of his embrace. It was ironic how safe he made me feel when I knew he had let his guard down for me.

I realized everything he had done for me, and I hadn't done half of those things. The least I could do for him at the moment was to make him feel safe—to let him know I was there for him.

To be his safe space.

Slowly, I hugged him and stroked his back. I inhaled against his chest, and a faint floral musk scent played with my senses.

"I will never judge you, Vino."

"You were one of the most important persons in my life, Kane. You still are."

I raised my head to look at him.

"I don't want to be scared anymore," he whispered. "I don't care if I get hurt from loving you. Or if you decide to break my heart into a million pieces. I won't ever run away from you. I will never hurt you again. I promise you that."

"But back in the car, you said you loved me."

"I thought English and speech were your strongest subjects?" he asked, giving me a mocking smile. I took it as a good sign. He was starting to joke around. "But you didn't even notice I didn't use the past tense."

"What?"

"I said 'I love you', Kane. As in the present," he clarified. "I love you, Katherine Ramos. Always have, always will."

Vino leaned closer to me and pressed his lips gently against mine before I got to answer. My breath got caught in my throat as I looked into his closed eyes. His lips had a faint taste of beer, and I smiled against it.

When I had walked away from his car, I thought I lost him forever. I thought we wouldn't have a second chance, only a closure.

But the thing I had been waiting for was finally happening, and I wouldn't let the chance slip away again. It was time for me to face my fears.

I closed my eyes, stood on tiptoes, curled my fingers around his nape, and kissed him back. He deepened his kiss, and I could feel hundreds of butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

Damn, I'm kissing Vino.

***

It was past midnight, and Vino's car was parked outside my house. We had been here for about thirty minutes already, talking about us.

"I still cannot believe this is happening."

He reached for my hand and lifted it up to his lips, giving my knuckles some feather kisses. I felt a blush creep up on my cheeks. This whole sweet Vino thing going on would take me some getting used to.

"What if this is just a dream?"

"Then don't wake me up."

He laughed and ruffled my hair in response.

"It's been a long night for both of us. I'd like to spend more time with you, but you need some rest," he whispered.

"I wish I can invite you in."

"We both know you can't invite me to sleep over. Besides, I don't want your family to know about us that way."

I yawned, making me forget what I was about to say.

"As I was saying..." Vino chuckled and hopped out of the car.

He walked me to the front door, and I had to fumble for the key before successfully unlocking the door.

"It's been a crazy night," I commented.

It had been a rollercoaster of emotion with this guy tonight, but I wouldn't change a thing about it.

"Yup. And you need some sleep. Good night, Kane," he whispered before kissing my forehead.

"Good night, Vino."