CHAPTER 30

I remained silent, ignoring Vino. I still couldn't believe Brian would do that to me. We had sworn on it that he wouldn't tell Vino, and I wouldn't pry on him about why Vino was drunk.

When I saw a convenience store up ahead, I requested Vino if we could stopover, and he obliged.

The parking lot was almost empty except for a single motorcycle parked near the entrance of the store.

"Brian and I made a deal, and he broke it," I muttered as Vino turned off the engine.

"Kane, I swear he did keep his word," he explained, pulling the key out of the ignition.

"Really? Because you just told me he told you about Gab. That didn't sound like keeping one's word."

I climbed out of the car and hurried to the store's door, leaving Vino behind. But I couldn't possibly leave someone behind who could catch up to me in a few strides.

Vino beat me to the door, pushing it open for me.

An aromatic scent of coffee whiffed inside the store as we walked in. I got distracted by a middle-aged man getting a cup of coffee from the machine. I might not be a coffee-lover, but I liked how it smelled.

My eyes flickered back to Vino when he said, "He kept his word for two years, and I only found out about it recently. You can ask him about it—"

"He better has a good reason."

I had known Brian since kindergarten. He might be the most playful and happy-go-lucky among the four boys in our squad, but he was a loyal friend.

But right now, I couldn't think of any good reason why he would break our deal. We fist-bumped on that deal, and that was his pinky swear.

"You want to call him?" Vino asked, offering me his phone.

I stared at the black phone in his hand before looking up at him.

"No. They're still at the bar, having a great time. I don't want to spoil their night."

He nodded and put his phone back in his pocket.

We walked past the instant noodle aisle, and I went straight to the fridge. There was an assortment of drinks from bottled water to cartons of fresh milk to different iced tea flavors, and I couldn't find what I wanted.

"I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because of you. But he has to explain to me when I get a chance to talk to him," I said, failing to sound threatening.

Finally, I spotted the can of beer I was looking for.

"He will—"

Vino stopped short when I took out two cans of beer from the fridge.

His forehead creased as he asked me if I really wanted to drink. I told him I want to, and he was about to protest, but he just shook his head.

He took both cans from me and returned one from the fridge.

"I'm not drinking," he offered as an explanation before opening another fridge to get a bottle of water.

"But that wasn't for you. It was both for me."

"Can you drink two cans of beer?"

"I can," I lied.

He shook his head, whispering, "I don't think so."

Then he turned his back to me and proceeded to the cashier, not giving me any time to argue about the beer.

After paying, we both walked out of the store, and he opened the passenger door for me before handing me the can of beer.