Dark Omens

He had woken up before her. Her breaths were still slow and calm, the expression on her face filled with peace. The marks her nails had made in her hand were still visible, he cringed at them. Because there were no matters to tend to, but he surely wasn't going to leave her after everything that had happened, Link softly examined her with only his eyes. Her nightgown, still stained with dried blood and the right shoulder still slit, draped elegantly over her curves.

He loved those curves, they announced her femininity without being extensive or drastic, yet distinct enough to send flutters through him. Her belly rose and fell with unconscious breath, declaring that she was full of love and fully loved.

He would fight for both of them in a heartbeat, even his slumber knew it. While on the topic of their coming child, Link looked up from Zelda and scanned the bed they slept in. I hope the Castle becomes safe soon... this bed's gonna get a little small once she gets a little bigger. He thought, without any reason to explain why he thought so. Maybe if she gets closer and we still can't go back... maybe they'll let us move to Hateno. Yeah, Dad could give us a nice place, and she could give birth there, safe and sound... There aren't many monsters around the village. Yeah, that would be nice. The village would be a nice place to welcome the baby...

A small yawn distracted him, followed by a stirring.

"Aww, you're supposed to sleep until I wake up." Zelda's eyes blinked away her remaining sleep, slight disappointment in them.

"Sorry, honey." Link leaned over and kissed her 'good morning'. "You feeling any better?"

"What do you mean?"

"Blood Moon, last night, you tried to dig holes in both of us." He pointed gently to where the marks remained in his and Zelda's sides.

"Oh!" Zelda pulled her dress up as her fingers meticulously calculated the depth of the marks in the same motion. Hands shaking, she checked herself over for more self-inflicted wounds.

"Hey, hey," Link brushed the side of her face. "hey... you're alright. Don't panic."

"Don't panic?!" She batted his hand away. "I'm attacking my own family every time there's a blood moon and you're telling me 'don't panic'?! What if there's a blood moon while I'm in labor and I kill the baby?!"

"You aren't attacking people!" Link cowered back at his own volume, realizing he'd just snapped at Zelda. "You're trying to alert me and protect Little Hyrule but you're just in so much pain that your nails are digging in." He took her hand and brushed his fingers across her knuckles, kissing them like he did at the very beginning of their time as a couple. "And I firmly believe that there is no force on Hyrule that would cause you to attack our child." They both sat up in bed, hunched over slightly. "Sorry I snapped..."

Zelda shrugged with only tired palms. "My stress makes you stressed, I know. I should be a bit better."

Link wrapped an arm around her. "No, you're completely fine, please don't apologize. You've had this whole weight on your shoulders since you were a baby yourself and I've barely even gotten a sip of what that's like, I shouldn't yell at you."

She curled her body up against his, falling silent for a long time.

"You know," He stroked her hairline. "It's almost your birthday... we've been so busy with the little one that I haven't asked you what you would like to do."

"I've already made arrangements with Impa to ascend Mount Lanayru. I must know if the final Spring is the key..." Zelda glanced down at the rash on her right hand. "It's been so reactive lately... maybe it will awaken there."