"I haven't seen these in years. I can't believe you still have them."

"Safe and sound on an old memory stick."

Gracie joins us, looking over Megs shoulder. "Look how young you both look; practically babies."

"It's only about a decade." Meg chuckles softly. Sharing a smile with me, as we reminisce. Sitting here with her feels like no time has passed and I have to keep reminding myself that a lot has happened since then. Heck, even I'm not the same girl I used to be. I would really like to catch up with her though. Now, I just need to come up with a way to make that happen.

--__--__--

"I've told you; I'm not interested in dating. My priority is and will always be Abby. I don't have the time or effort to bring someone else into our lives." Meg states. Andy had taken the kids upstairs to play, so Gracie, Meg and I were in the kitchen with the open bottle of wine. Everything was going lovely until I had the bright idea to ask Meg out. Well not out, out, but it would be just me and her.

I had my rugby presentation coming up, and I'd made sure I had the day off work so I could go. I'd missed enough training and games over the season due to work that I was determined to make it to the presentation. They were a good bunch of girls and I would have been fine going alone. Accept there was one girl who I'd stupidly had a one-night stand with about a year ago and she wouldn't leave me alone. I knew what she was like before that but I was going through a rough stage in work. Drowning my sorrows after a game I found myself needing human contact and she was there. Now I couldn't get rid of her.

My mouth worked before my brain could catch up and I was asking Meg to be my plus one. Outlining a plan of her pretending to be my date to keep this girl away. All she picked up on was the date part. I think I almost had her agree to come before I said date. She was a bit nervous about going to a place she didn't know anyone, I told her 'Strangers are merely friends you haven't made yet.' In return I received a look telling me to stop being a smart arse. Then I said date and she freaked. Ignoring the fake part of the sentence.

Now Gracie and Meg were in a heated argument.

"But you need to take time for yourself as well." Gracie argues.

"Gracie, it's fine, if Meg doesn't want to date, let her stay single." I say calmly.

"Thank you." Meg says smugly. She has no idea where I'm going with this and I can't wait to see her reaction.

"I can wait two years." I smile.

"Two years? What happens in two years? My priorities won't have changed in that time." Meg asks confused with a hint of frustration.

"Wow Meg, you wound me. Are you saying you don't remember what happens when we turn thirty?" I ask in mock seriousness.

She stares at me in utter puzzlement, until slowly her eyes widen before slamming back into narrow slits. "You're not seriously holding me to that?"

"I see no reason not to." I say fighting off the smile threatening to take over my face.

"We were eighteen."

"That means we were both legally adults and therefore entered into a legally binding verbal contract."

Gracie has been bouncing back and forth between us during this little battle but suddenly finds her voice. "What happens in two years?" she asks eagerly.

"Meg promised me that if we are both single when we turn thirty that we'd get married."

"Haha I love it." Gracie laughs.

"It's not happening." Meg yells at her cousin. "And you." She says turning her full attention on me. "Stop encouraging her. Short of holding a gun to my head at the altar, I will not be getting married in the next few years."

Shit, I haven't received that face in a long time but instinct clicks straight in. "Sorry." I say thoroughly cowed.

"You're just backing down." Gracie asks in shock.

I shrug. "I can see I've gone too far. I'll be going now." I get up and head to the door, before I can walk through though I stop. "Meg, I hope you know me well enough to know I would never force you to do anything. You're bringing that kid up right, I'm so proud of the woman you've become. You're right though, we're not teenagers anymore." And with that I need to let go of my teenage flame for her. She's not the same girl I dated. Ten years of change has happened since then. Ten years that I was not around for.

For years I've held out for the hope that we'd meet again. That it would be like no time had passed and we could jump straight back into the relationship. A foolish, childish dream.

I know I made out to Jonesy that I barely thought about her over the years but she's held a residence in my head for over a decade.

I've ruined relationships because I've been secretly waiting for her. Hurt perfectly lovely ladies in the process. Never letting myself get feelings too deep just in case she came back in my life. I've been foolish. How did I not see this before?

I told her to go out and live her life and that's what she did. She's had long-term relationships. A little child. She followed my advice.

So, why didn't I?

Damn Jonesy for being right, she's the one, she's still the one. Now I just need to figure out how to convince her that I'm still the one for her. I'm not going to do that by going in guns blazing. I'll need a different, slower approach. We started as friends all those years ago, hopefully, maybe, she'll let me be her friend again.

"Layla, wait." Meg calls. My hand freezes on its path to the front door. Turning around I find us alone in the hallway but would put money on Gracie having an ear to the kitchen door. "It's not a date. I'm not even sure how to be friends with you anymore, but I'll go with you."

It's a start and I'll take it. "You're going to have fun, I guarantee it."

"We'll see." She says with a soft smile.

"Thank you." I say seriously. We both stand there in silence for a moment before I say goodbye. Don't want to push my luck. But I've got my in and I couldn't be happier.