Chapter 23

Pov: Isabelle Snow

"What are you doing here? What if I came with Little Havens and they saw you?!" I exclaimed, walking over to Calvin while snapping my head right and left, as if Scarlett could pop out of a potted plant.

"Open this door," he said in a low tone, knocking on my door without looking up from the ground. His other hand was in his pocket, hair tied back with a couple of ebony black curls falling to his face.

"But if Litt-"

He punched the door louder, shutting me up this time. I sighed, walking to him and leaning down so I could see his hidden face. He had his lips sucked in, eyebrows furrowed and nose flaring. His eyes found mine, narrowing just a little at my smile. I had taken my mask off so he'd see my calm exterior.

"How can I open the door when your palm is resting on it so comfortably, babe?" I asked, my grin growing as I threw my keycard from one hand to the other, effortlessly catching it between two fingers.

His shoulders slumped a little as he exhaled, taking his palm off and shoving it in his other pocket. Sometimes, when he was feeling guilty about something, he resembled a beast that could be tamed if treated carefully. I was hoping he was still sorry for his earlier actions.

I slid in my keycard and entered the apartment. This time, I'd gone for a very small suite- just one bedroom, and a bathroom. I didn't need to waste even more money on posh hotels, specially since I would only be staying for two weeks.

He followed me inside, taking a quick look around from the corner of his eye until his gaze fixed on me again. With a click of his tongue, he rested against the door he'd shut.

"Let me guess. Your dad made you angry and you needed somewhere to escape to," I chuckled, slipping my keycard in the back pocket of my jeans. Since he wouldn't reply and would only stand there with his arms crossed, I tilted my head. "Now the question is.. How'd you know that I'd specifically choose today to stay at the hotel and rest?"

He was not having it. No matter what I asked him, I got no reply. All he did was study me as I moved around, connecting my phone to the charger, and pouring myself a glass of water.

"Hwang Hyunjin," he uttered, making me freeze in my spot while my heartbeat took off. I tried to keep my face neutral, but hearing my sheepish baby's name come out of this ferocious wolf's lips had me as anxious as my brother's safety did.

Why.. Why is he mentioning him?

"What about him?" I asked innocently, throwing myself on the edge of my bed and bouncing on there. I might have looked carefree, but all I needed was to lie down because my legs were beginning to feel like jelly.

"That's what I'd like to ask you," he said slowly, scowling at me with his eyes trained on my new bracelet.

How on earth did he find out?

"Is it pretty?" I grinned, holding my hand up and shaking it so the bracelet would move around. "How did you know that he bought it?"

"You two looked happy yesterday, walking around, buying useless shit."

I was being watched. Good to know.

"I kind of pity him. He has no idea he's being used," I huffed, jingling my bracelet with a fake smirk on my face, "He's the most naive guy I'll ever find. Even dumber than the ones from my older missions. Or maybe I've just become a better actress? He hasn't even doubted me once. But hey, at least I get gold out of it."

"You looked overjoyed," he said, his words still dripping with distrust.

"I did? Thank you," I giggled, rolling over to rest my elbows on the mattress while holding my head up in my palms, "Feels good to finally hear a praise. Do I get a reward for my top-notch acting during all of those tiresome years?"