who wants the heart

"Hey...so I have bad news," you spoke into your phone, waiting for your dad's reply.

"I think we know. We're stuck here too," he replied, a heavy sigh on the other line that made your heart ache a bit. You didn't realize how much you'd missed your dad since you'd left, and now you wouldn't be able to see him until Christmas.

There was no other time for you to go and visit, not with your schedule. Besides, going back and staying home for a weekend would just make it harder to come back and finish the final weeks before the month long break.

"Where are you?" He asked, and you looked up, smiling as Connie wiggled around in the center of the room, a game of charades going on.

"I'm at Eren's place with my friends and Connie. We're all gonna stay here for the night and try to see if we can get back to the dorms tomorrow."

"Connie?"

It occurred to you that you still hadn't told your family about him.

"That was something I was gonna talk to you and mom about...Connie's my new boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?"

"Yes, boyfriend. But he's super sweet and funny and a really good guy. You'd love him dad," you quickly replied, hoping your response would be good enough for him. Ever since Floch, your dad didn't like the idea of boys going out with you.

"I'll be the judge of that," you could hear his voice falter before saying, "just...be careful, okay?"

"I will. I promise. Love you dad," you smiled.

"Love you too," he hung up after that and you slid your phone into your back pocket, walking back over to the living room, Connie's turn over as Jean now took over the circle.

You glanced over at Eren and Mikasa. They were huddled up on the couch, and so far things had been pretty civil. As far as you knew, Marco and Jean had started to begin something. Marco had hinted at it a while ago and you couldn't be happier for him. Although, you couldn't help but be a little worried.

"Hey, how'd your dad take it?" Connie slid his arm over your shoulder as you sat down next to him on the floor.

"Okay, just worried is all."

"Well, you'll be safe and sound with me around," Connie pulled you closer to him, and you leaned your head onto his shoulder, welcoming the embrace.

A couple more rounds of charades were played before Niccolo called out that dinner was ready. You all gathered around the table, watching Niccolo smile before he started to carve the turkey. Things were okay for a while as everyone ate and talked, bringing up funny memories of the early semester.

"I can't believe you called Connie bald!" Sasha giggled as she nudged your shoulder, your cheeks heating up in embarrassment.

"I feel so bad about that. I don't know why I said it," you turned to Connie and he shrugged, giving you a small smirk.

"It led us here, didn't it?" If you weren't surrounded by all of your friends and eating a giant course of delicious food, you would've kissed him.

"Gross," Jean pretended to gag and you rolled your eyes at him, a few people laughing at his remark.

"So who wants the turkey's heart?" Niccolo waggled his eyebrows, stabbing his fork into it and raising it toward his face as he examined the shirvel thing.

Nobody really said anything and you sure as hell weren't going to eat it. You averted your gaze away from it and watched as Eren opened his mouth to speak.