| twenty two |

Warning: mentions of a domestically abusive relationship, signs of domestic violence, please do not read if this is a trigger for you!

The Next Morning

Saturday

"Are you sure you have to leave?" Sunny's voice was quiet. She was watching from her place on the sofa as Gray moved around their apartment gathering any last minute items he'd need for his trip to Seattle.

"It's a conference for work. Of course I have to."

"But on the weekend? And so last minute. We had plans for this weekend and now–,"

"Sunny, that's how business is." He cut her off firmly.

Sunny looked down at her hands. She sat on the edge of the sofa, hoping that she could talk Gray into staying. Things had been tense between them since dinner Tuesday night and Sunny wanted to see if they could talk through it. If they couldn't, she wanted to know if she'd be able to bring herself to tell him that she wanted out of the relationship.

"I know. I just.... I just don't like you leaving for two days when we haven't been on the best of terms."

"Yeah, well shit happens." He muttered, straightening his tie.

Sunny bit her bottom lip as she turned her head to look towards the door.

"What are you looking at?"

Her eyes were brought back to Gray.

"Nothing. Nothing." She looked down. "Just thinking about how I'll, erm, spend the weekend."

Gray said nothing in response. He left the room for a few moments. When he returned, he had his duffle bag over one shoulder.

"Maybe you should start with some sleep. Didn't get any last night, did you?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Just couldn't." Sunny shrugged softly. She didn't want to tell him that it had to do with the party. Every time the party was mentioned, Gray seemed to get agitated. She didn't want to tell him that she was losing trust in him, that it felt like he knew something about the party that he wasn't sharing.

But maybe it also had to do with Kelly Severide. The man had been on her mind since she kissed him the previous night.

Gray nodded.

"Well, my flight's in an hour and the airport's thirty minutes away."

"Drive safe." She murmured, offering him a little smile.

"When I get back, I want to see an attitude change."

Sunny watched as he went to the front door. It clicked shut behind him.

No goodbye kiss or even a wave.

She let out a small breath, leaning back into the cushions on the sofa.

Her phone vibrated on the coffee table. It was a text from Liz.

From Liz:
<"We should get together tonight! It's been so long since we hung out">

Sunny smiled at the idea. The thought of being with friends warmed her, but she didn't think she'd be good company with the state she was in.

She put her phone aside without answering Liz and closed her eyes.

A few minutes passed and it buzzed again.

From: Liz
<"Kate said she's worried about you and you know she won't come out and say it but I will. We just want to make sure you're okay.">