| twenty one |

Friday Night

Sunny stood outside of Firehouse 51, waiting for Gray to pick her up. She glanced down at her phone in hopes that she had missed a call or text from him. Unfortunately, it didn't seem that way. There was no call that she had missed from him or an unread text waiting to be seen.

She let out a soft breath, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. He was nearly an hour late and the sun was setting. She wouldn't mind walking home, but soon it would be dark.

Sunny began to take a few steps away from the firehouse ready to start her journey when a car horn made her jump.

A familiar blue mustang pulled up next to her. Severide gave her a little smile as he rolled the window down.

"Waiting for someone?"

"Just, uh...." Sunny looked back down at her phone. There was still nothing from Gray. "Gray was supposed to pick me up."

She hated the tension in the air. They hadn't talked to each other at all since Tuesday, and she hated it more than anything in the world. If they were going to put space between them, she wanted it to be on good terms, but the conversation they had in the kitchen on Tuesday still made her stomach twist up into knots.

"Have you been waiting long?"

"Just a little while.... About an hour."

Severide nodded. He glanced in his mirror briefly before checking the time on the stereo in his car.

"I can give you a lift if you'd like?"

"I appreciate it, Kelly, but my apartment is out of your way."

"I'd rather drive you twenty minutes out of my way than have you walk home alone in the dark."

"That's alright, Kelly." She smiled tightly, looking down the road in the direction Gray should have been coming from. "I'll wait just a bit longer. Gray, um, he had plans tonight. They probably just lasted longer than he thought."

Severide didn't buy the excuse for her fiancé and the only way he was going to leave was if she got into the car with him, with Gray, or with someone else from the firehouse. He wasn't about to let her walk home alone.

"Sunny, come on." Severide spoke quietly. "It's just a short ride. It'll make me feel a whole hell of a lot better if you just let me give you this ride. Or if you do want to wait for him, I can wait with you."

Sunny looked at the firefighter for a few heartbeats then glanced down at her phone.

"Okay."

As she was getting into the passenger seat of Severide's car, she texted Gray to let him know she was getting a ride home.

As Severide began to drive, Sunny busied herself with looking out of the window. She nervously tapped her fingers on her skirt. Her heart was racing and her stomach twisted with butterflies. Her nerves were getting the best of her.

Severide continuously glanced over at her, taking note of her finger-tapping. Was he making her so anxious and jittery?

"You know, Sunny.... I'm sorry we've been...." He trailed off, unsure of what exactly to say. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" She turned her head to him.

"For the last week." He glanced over at her, very briefly catching her gaze. "And for raising my voice on Tuesday. That was a dick move. I shouldn't have done that."

"Don't be sorry." She shook her head and looked away once more. She hoped that her short reply would be the end of their conversation and she could just get home without having to make painful small talk.