| eighteen |

"Look at you!" Cruz threw his hands into the air as he and the rest of Firehouse 51 squeezed into Sunny's small hospital room. Severide saw the way her eyes lit up and the brightest smile crossed her face.

It had been a day since she was admitted to the hospital following the overdose on ketamine. On the first day, the 51 crew tried to visit her, but failed to do so because she was being questioned by the detectives so they were now visiting her on her second day. And she couldn't be more happy about it.

"Here's a little card for you, kiddo." Herrmann handed her a card. "All of us signed it."

"We were going to bring cupcakes but someone got into them." Gabby looked to Otis and Mouch.

"Oh my gosh, you guys." Sunny smiled brightly at them, her hands covering her bright red cheeks. "Thank you guys so much." She looked down at the card. There were soft pink roses all over the front. Written in fancy cursive font on the front was 'Get Well Soon.' She opened it to find all of the Firehouse's signatures and little notes they left for her. "I love it."

"You do?" Brett clasped her hands together. "We had such a hard time picking out the card."

"I love it. Pink is one of my favorite colors." Sunny brushed the tears off of her cheeks.

"Oh no. We made her cry." Mouch whispered.

"It's because I'm happy." Sunny laughed softly. Her eyes flickered around in search for a certain firefighter. "Where's Kelly?"

"He, uh, couldn't make it." Casey answered. Sunny did her best to hide the disappointment.

"We don't want to bother you too much, Sunny." Chief Boden spoke from the doorway. "We just wanted to let you know everyone at 51 was thinking about you and we're wishing you a speedy recovery."

"Thank you, Chief."

Sunny hugged each firefighter and EMT before they left the room.

"Is there anything we can do for you, Sunny?" Gabby asked. She and Casey were the only two left behind now.

"I'm okay, thank you." Sunny shook her head gently. "Thank you guys for dropping by."

"Of course. Get some rest and feel better." Gabby smiled to her. She turned to leave but Sunny stopped her.

"Um, actually! There is one thing."

Gabby and Casey shared a little look before looking at Sunny.

"Could you tell Kelly that I would like to see him?" Sunny asked quietly. "I-I just.... I don't know. I thought I would've seen him by now. Do you know if I did something to make him mad?"

"I don't know, Sunny." Gabby shook her head. "But I will let him know that you asked for him."

Sunny smiled and nodded a little.

She watched as they left, then her eyes flickered back down to the card. She laughed again, brushing the pad of her index finger over Otis' little note to her.

Sunny,
I hope you feel better so we can see you back at 51 soon. Without your smile everything is so lame. P.S. That cheesecake of yours was the best ever!

The next note she saw was from Brett.

Hi, Sunny! We can't wait to see you back at 51! Hope you get better soon!

Her eyes flickered around the card in search of Severide's name. But she didn't find it. Why hadn't he signed the card?

———