I GAVE YOU ALL MY TEARS LAST NIGHT

New replayed the audio for what could possibly be the 20th time. The recording started when Tay said, 'You cannot teach an old dog new tricks'. It was either the idea to record their conversation occurred to the asshole too late. Or, he took pity on them and left out some of the unpleasantness on purpose.

Tay's skin crawled as his voice played over and over again. He was harsh. Cruel. He wanted the audio gone. He was incensed that the terrible moment was documented forever. Whilst he cowered in shame, New played their pain on repeat.

A choked sob. "I want to go home. I don't want to be here anymore." New's eyes stared at nothing. Tay imagined his mind was back to that night. He marched to the man's side and snatched the device out of his hand.

"Enough! That's enough."

New blinked. He looked up. Frowned at Tay. "You're upset."

"Of course, I am. How are you this insouciant? Our business is out there for everyone to see and you're sipping on a cup of coffee."

"What would you have me do? I cannot cry about it if that is what you want." He lifted the cup to his lips again. Swallowed. "I wasted all my tears on you last night." He stated plainly. "Sorry to be a disappointment yet again, Tawan. But I did not put this out there."

"I didn't say that you did."

"Regardless, I feel the need to clear the air. I do not want you to assume things again." He set the mug down. "I'll have Mond check his surveillance cameras for people who entered the washroom before we did. We'll get the culprit."

"Okay." Tay nodded. Solutions. He liked solutions. "What should we do in the meantime?"

"Nothing. This is your first scandal. You are terrified but trust me—," he paused. Shot Tay a slanted look. "I mean that as a figure of speech." Tay rolled his eyes. Trust New to be petty in a crisis. "It will blow over soon. Our parents are definitely working on it as we speak."

"Sir," Foei interrupted again. "There's a message from the lady. It says to come home at once before she sends people to collect you."

"Speak of the devil." New muttered.

Tay could not agree more.

**

The mansion loomed over them as the car rolled through the gates. Solid tyres crunched on the gravel. It sounded like a complaint. It appeared Tay was not the only one who did not want to return to the house. If only they had a choice

The car screeched to halt before arched double doors. Foei exited the vehicle in a haste. Held Tay's door open. Jonathan was at the main entrance. His smile was small. Almost apologetic.

"You look well, Sir."

Tay hugged him. "Since when did I become Sir?" He missed Jon.

The butler held him back by his arms. "Since you left home to become a man. It is good to see you, young man."

"Same here, Jon."

"Hurry along now." He patted Tay's back. "Do not keep the lady waiting."

He plodded through the corridors like a man sentenced to the gallows. The gallows, he believed, was a slap on the wrist compared to facing mother dearest. The last time he confronted her, he had New's fearlessness as reinforcement. His knight was not by his side now.

The tall pillars caged him in. He did not realize how suffocating this house was until he left. He pulled down his collar. Walked past photos of himself at different stages of his life. Lifeless smiles drawn on his miserable face.