Chapter Fourteen

This is the end folks, thanks for reading.

Who the hell was banging so loudly at this hour? Can groaned and rolled onto his back, flinging an arm over his eyes. Had one of the guys gone out and forgotten their key? Seriously. It was Friday night and he'd had a long day, long week actually. Getting a new business up and running was bloody hard work. It was going well, which was great, but at the end of every day he felt like he'd run a marathon.

The banging persisted and Can flipped his feet to the floor and rubbed his eyes, realising he wasn't even in his bed, but had nodded off on the sofa. A quick tap on his phone revealed the time to be nearly 11pm.

Mai emerged from his room, wearing pyjama bottoms and nothing else. "What's that noise?" he grumbled, padding over to the front door before Can could even get himself to his feet. A moment later Pond appeared with ChaAim close on his heels.

Mai opened the front door to reveal Tin's mother.

Tin's mother was at the door. What the actual hell? Can found the energy from somewhere to stand.

Mai obviously recognised her from the birthday party because he said, "Mrs Medthanan, what a surprise."

She shot Mai a filthy look that would have felled a demon. "Where is the one called 'Can'?" she spat, eyes searching the room and landing on him, her already haughty expression morphing into utter disdain. "You!" She raised a jewelled finger and pointed.

Can felt actual fear for a moment. She looked like she was about to smite him! What could the woman want with him? Was she going to rip him a new one for daring to turn Tin down all those months ago? Would she even know about that? Can doubted it.

"Good evening, Mrs Medthanan," Can tried, with a small smile that was an effort. What had Tin written in that email to him? Neither of my parents cared much for me, I was the spare son. Can had little care for a woman who could treat her own son, someone Can himself loved with all his heart, like he didn't matter. "What can I do for you?"

Her eyes flashed and her cosmetically enhanced features twisted into something very ugly as she stepped towards him. He vaguely registered the shocked faces of his friends as she jabbed her finger into his chest and said, "You will stay away from my son."

Can, feeling the anger rise, replied as he stepped back, "I will not. If Tin wants me — if he needs me — I'm always going to be there." Unlike you. "He matters."

"You insolent little brat!" she hissed, fist clenching. "You and that scheming sister of yours—"

"Alright, that's enough," Mai interrupted. "I think it would be best if you left now."

"This is none of your business!" Mrs Medthanan didn't even glance in Mai's direction. "This is between me and—"

"Mai is right," Can agreed, thankful for his friend's interjection. "You need to leave." He nodded in the direction of the door, thankful to ChaAim for opening it and making a sweeping gesture towards Mrs Medthanan.

She glanced at the open door and drew herself up to her full height, and returned to glaring at Can. "Who did you think you are? Someone like you will never be good enough for my son! You—"

"Leave, or I call the police," Mai said, folding his arms over his naked chest.

Mrs Medthanan finally turned to look at Mai, looking him up and down in disgust. Mai raised an eyebrow and she said, "Fine, I'm going." To Can she said, "Stay away from Tin." With that she straightened her shoulders and marched out the apartment. ChaAim let go of the door and it slammed loudly.