Chapter Four

Tin pinched the bridge of his nose and wished for an early death. Three sets of expectant eyes watched him, all older and more experienced than he was, all probably thinking they should be the ones making the decisions and not him. Yes, they all worked for him, but he'd inherited them all from his father's reign and they were loyal to a dead man. A heart attack had struck him at fifty-five.

Tin knew that Trai Medthanan hadn't been a stupid man, and if he trusted these men before him then Tin knew he could rely on them. The problem for him was that they were all at least ten years older than his father had been and their outlook was old-fashioned. He needed people working for him who he had recruited himself, people that would owe their loyalty to him. He just didn't know where to start and until he figured that out, he was stuck right here.

He had just a few weeks before he finished his degree, and he could concentrate full time on the company that bore his name and hopefully things would become clearer when it was his sole focus.

"Alright," he said, rolling his shoulders. "Let's do it. Offer twenty percent less than the asking price and leave the offer on the table. They can take it or leave it. The operation would enhance our portfolio, but we don't need it."

The three men nodded in assent and, pleased that the ordeal that had been his Saturday was nearly over, Tin snapped his laptop shut and gathered the supporting documents they'd provided him. Another sign that they were old fashioned. All of the information could have easily been supplied electronically.

Time to go home and face his temporary house guest, a prospect that made his head explode. Business talk he could comfortably do all day, whether or not he enjoyed it. Small talk with an unreasonably attractive Thai Program student, not so much. What the hell had he been thinking by as much as inviting him inside, never mind inviting him to stay? He wouldn't even have Fong to hide behind tonight.

It was getting on for six o'clock when he pulled into the car park beneath the building and headed for the elevator. His stomach was protesting that it needed food right now as he had skipped lunch and breakfast had consisted solely of coffee. The chocolate bar from the vending machine didn't count for much.

His stomach nearly jumped out his mouth when he swiped into the apartment to be greeted by the smell of Gaeng Daeng. He found Can inspecting the rice steamer with a look of extreme concentration. His fringe was swept up in a cute pigtail on top of his head and he looked about fifteen years old.

"Whatever you're cooking, please tell me there's enough for two."

Can startled and dropped the spatula he was holding. "Give a guy some warning next time!" he said, picking up what he'd dropped and placing it in the sink. "I— I hope you don't mind, you had all this stuff in the cupboards. I was going to leave some for you to reheat if you weren't back in time."

Can did not look like someone who knew his way around a kitchen, but Tin was too hungry to care, and it did smell really good. "How long until it's ready?"

"Fifteen minutes or so."

"I'll just get changed then." Tin managed a smile at Can and headed in the direction of his room. Fifteen minutes was time for a quick shower before changing. He washed quickly and allowed himself a moment to lean back against the cool tiles and to close his eyes. "Don't even think about it," he told the rational part of his brain. The irrational part was busy admiring how adorable Can had looked with his hair up and brow furrowed in concentration. How he'd wanted to sidle up behind him and kiss his neck. Seriously, what on earth was the matter with him?

He recalled Fong's words from the night before, after Can had gone to bed. "You look at him you want to ruin him," she'd said slyly, followed up with a malicious laugh. Tin had felled her with a glare and the laughter had died away. "Which is fine, obviously, as you can sleep with whoever you want, and he is very pretty even if he is poor. As a Medthanan you will need to settle down with a woman from a good family... I'm not stupid, I know like both. If I were your wife I'd turn a blind eye to—"