14

I called Sarah to ask her if she could pick me up from the cut, and she did. She also allowed me to spend the night at her place. The next day, she didn't hassle me for any information about what happened, until that night and I told her everything.

"So, you dated my brother... and never told anyone?" She asked me. I nodded my head as I played with the strings on the hoodie I was wearing. "Why didn't you at least tell me?" She asked me. Sarah was clearly uncomfortable with the fact that I had a deeper history with her brother than she originally imagined, and I didn't blame her.

"I wanted to. But he didn't want anyone to know about us. He said that people knowing would ruin what we had." I admitted. She shook her head. "But he did that all by himself," I stated. "Scar, you need to stop taking Rafe's word as gospel. He's a selfish idiot." She said as she held my hand.

I nodded as I softly smiled at her. "So... you and JJ." She changed topics. I shook my head, "Sarah, I don't wanna talk about that right n--" I started. "Dude, you're upset. Just talk to me! Don't bottle it up. No more secrets." She said as she held out her pinky. 

A laugh came from my mouth, "Really? A pinky promise?" I asked her with a smile. She nodded. "Yep. Come on! Promise." She said. I sighed as I latched my pinky with hers. "I promise," I said and we let each other go.

"So, tell me how you feel." She said. I put my hands in my lap. "I feel like an asshole for sleeping with Rafe. I know that JJ and I weren't ever really together and even if we were, I ended things before I did it. My mind keeps trying to justify my actions." I admitted.

Sarah smiled softly at me. "I just don't want him to think that my feelings for him weren't genuine. I really really like him. I haven't felt this way in a long time and he's actually a good guy. But of course, I fucked it up for myself." I said as I looked down at my hands. 

"I think you should talk to him," Sarah suggested. I shook my head, "He doesn't wanna talk to me. I mean, you should've seen the look on his face. He was hurt, Sarah. I hurt him." I said as I fought off tears.

"He also hurt you. You both fucked up. You guys can come back from this!" Sarah said. I laughed as I looked up at her. "Jesus, there's that optimism," I said and she laughed. "There's always a bright side, Scarlett. I think you're just a bit too pessimistic." She said as she got up from her bed and grabbed her laptop.

"Let's watch something funny." She said as she opened Netflix. We were watching John Mulaney's comedy special New in Town when we were interrupted. Sarah's bedroom door opened and I paused the video.

She immediately sat up and looked concerned. I noticed that John B had a gun in his hand. "John B, why do you have a gun?" I asked him. He looked away from me and at Sarah. "Did you tell your dad about the gold?" He asked her. 

Sarah looked up at him in confusion. "Where's that coming from?" She asked him. "Answer the question." He immediately responded. His eyes were puffy and red, he was crying. "No. No, of course not." Sarah answered truthfully. 

"Then how'd he know? Hm?" He asked her. I had never seen John B like this. He was angry and was growing very impatient. He grabbed Sarah by the wrists and she gasped in shock. "Answer me." He told her.

I stood up and tried to remove his hands from her. "John B, you're scaring her!" I raised my voice a little bit. He looked over at me and then back to Sarah. "Is life outside the Bubble Wrap scary to you two?" He asked us. Sarah looked at him with fear and I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Sarah!" We all heard Ward shout from downstairs. He looked over at the two of us and put a finger over his mouth, signaling for us to be quiet. We snuck out the window and made our way behind the bushes in the backyard.