CHAPTER XIV

Adina's face fell as a single opening filled with white light appeared in the clouds, lighting up Safe Haven as if it was midday. Countless angels flew out of the light, wings spread and weapons bared. Another shofar blast sounded through the sky—a call to arms and war.

Adina floated backward and back toward the ground, her fear making Cameron's face turn pale. "No... no!" she wailed. "But... the Purge!"

"There is no purge," Guardian growled at her as he and Defender got to their feet, making Adina whirl around. "You are not the judge of this Earth." Guardian spread out his wings, eyes flashing. "You are a fallen angel—a rebel. You no longer have a place among the armies of GOD."

Defender spread his wings as well and summoned his weapons back into his hands.

-

P.O.V. – Cameron/Adina

Adina shook violently, staring at Guardian and Defender in fear. "No," she whispered. "This can't be."

Cameron watched the fallen angel carefully, her heart swelling with joy and relief. I won't call it a comeback yet, but it looks like Safe Haven will survive! she thought hopefully. Now, if only I had a way to get my body back...

Suddenly, something began materializing behind Adina, drawing Cameron's attention but avoiding that of her controller. It appeared to be a slim-bladed sword made of pure white light, hovering over the ground.

CAMERON.

TAKE IT... AND BE FREE.

The powerful voice was the same that had spoken from on high, and it spurred Cameron to instant action. She lunged forward, grabbing the sword, and began slowly approaching Adina from behind.

"This is your end, Mother," Guardian hissed from outside Cameron's body. "You will fall in this Holy War."

"NO!" Adina raged. "I cannot fall! I will not! I—"

NOW!

Cameron thrust the sword forward with a shout, plunging it through Adina's back.

The sound that erupted from Adina's mouth after the attack was so shrill and powerful that it made the entire realm of Cameron's mind shake and fracture. Images—memories from the past, the present, and even the future—swirled around in a wild mess of colour and light. Voices joined the images, flooding through Cameron's head.

"I had that dream again..."

"Just do your job, you wretched creature..."

"We will BREAK THEM DOWN..."

"As I live... and as I breathe..."

"Magnificent. How... civil."

"Avatars, stand with me..."

"Good luck, Miss Cameron!"

"Lend me your power..."

"I stopped being afraid of things like you a long time ago. Just like my fear, I'm going to fight you...

...and I'm going to WIN."