CHAPTER XI

Cameron watched the Fish of Peace float through the sky, her chin resting on her hands. Wish you were here to see this, Mom, she thought, as she did most nights the fish were out. You would've loved them. And not just the Fish of Peace, but this whole place. She sighed wistfully, smiling. Safe Haven would've been your favourite place in the whole world.

"Fancy seeing you up here, Miss Cameron."

Cameron turned as Zechariah walked up to her, his golden fur seeming to glow under the Fish of Peace's light. "Oh... hey, Zech," she greeted the cheetah. "I'm just watching the Fish of Peace." She shrugged, adding, "I didn't really have anything to do, sooooooo... I came up here."

"Naturally. I know this is your favourite place in the haven," Zechariah remarked, sitting down next to Cameron. He watched the fish with hungry eyes for a moment, his stomach growling.

Cameron glanced at him, a small smile coming to her face.

Zechariah cleared his throat, turning away from the Fish of Peace rather guiltily. "You look marvelous," he told Cameron, giving her a kind smile.

"Aw." Cameron blushed a little. She wore a simple sleeveless white top and old-fashioned bell-bottom jeans, which was evidently enough to impress a cheetah who, as far as she knew, never wore clothes. "You really mean that?"

"Of course." Zechariah flicked an ear. "It's a shame you didn't have a date."

"I know," Cameron answered with a disappointed sigh. "Fabian offered, but I don't date... animals." She cringed a bit, recalling Fabian's "proposal".

Zechariah smiled in amusement. I suppose he prefers to use his "animal charm", he thought. He and I are somewhat alike in that way. Though, of course, I'm not vying for Miss Cameron's affections.

...Not... actively, anyway...

"Have you ever been in love, Cameron?" Zechariah suddenly blurted, almost involuntarily. Idiot! he thought instantly, mentally smacking himself on the forehead. Why would you ask that?

"I don't think so," Cameron replied without missing a beat, opting to roll with the strange (and rather offhanded) question. "I dated one guy named Delvis my first year in college, but we just ended up being friends." She leaned forward on the railing, a thoughtful look coming to her face. "Come to think of it, I wonder how he's doing..."

Cameron trailed off, thinking back to geeky, sharp-witted guy she'd made a lot of her best memories with. Then she turned to Zechariah and asked, "What about you?" She smiled teasingly. "Ever met a fellow feline big enough to handle you?"

"No, I... I haven't been that fortunate." Zechariah licked his chest fur somewhat bashfully. "But perhaps fortune will favour me in due time, for I am prepared to handle whoever ends up falling for me."

Cameron laughed at Zechariah's confidence, making the cheetah frown. "I think that's easier said than done, Zech," she pointed out. "Love's a funny thing—or so I'm told."

Zechariah nodded, knowing she spoke the truth. Perhaps I should tell her I'm human, he wondered, his heartbeat accelerating as he stared into Cameron's eyes, which twinkled with awe as she faced the Fish of Peace again. Before this moment ends. Maybe there's a chance that...

Zechariah brought his thoughts to a halt, looked away, and steeled himself, letting out a soft sigh as he turned back to the counselor. "Miss Cameron—"